Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 08-05-11, 17:21

Default FREE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD LINKS

Loved the article on 'Don't pay for Software'. I thought great I can download a few of these as Adobe seem to be denying me the right to upgrade on my old registered products which amounted to over ?3,000.

So WOW I thought there are comparable free products out there and the savings fantastic!!

Now that I am spending all my cash on internet marketing strategies for the web and blog I have no extra funds to buy in extra software.

I managed to install Paint.NET and MyPaint. Inkscape came up with a warning so I abandoned that. I then wanted to install BlueGriffon website builder and Scribus's DTP prog. Unfortunately, trying to download both these products was not easily obvious and I had to give up. There seem to be so many buttons for other things it was not clear how I downloaded either. I am not new to downloading and installing progs but this really was difficult to see which button to press and how to download them successfully.

Sometimes I think these free progs make it difficult for people by hiding and disguising their download buttons as well as trying to sell other things on the back of their freebies.

Has anybody downloaded the progs I was unable to download successfully?

More to the point are all of these virus free? It is scary to do anything these days on your computer without becoming paranoid.
Old 08-05-11, 18:03
Highly valued member

Default Re: FREE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD LINKS

Quote:
Has anybody downloaded the progs I was unable to download successfully?

More to the point are all of these virus free? It is scary to do anything these days on your computer without becoming paranoid
I managed it ok. The respective download pages don't appear to be too bad in the grand scheme of things
http://bluegriffon.org/pages/Download
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Download
Old 10-05-11, 19:03
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: FREE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD LINKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyager View Post
I managed to install Paint.NET
Paint.NET is great and I have used it for a while now but I almost never did... it is a shame the download page is such a mess giving prominence to other wares. The page does the software a dis-service as it must put off many users.

As for spyware/trojans etc. I think it is always a risk with free software you just have to be very careful...and lucky.

I remember years ago an Amiga magazine accidentally stuck a virus on its coverdisk, so even disk compliers can come unstuck.

If you haven't seen software recommended other than in google ads I'd say the risk was greater than something that's been used and reviewed for months.