Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Networking and Wi-Fi

Old 08-04-11, 16:27

Default Help Required!!! Newbie

Hi, Im new to this site and will need to be spoken to like an idiot as I do not know quite what to do.

I am having issues with my wifi, it picks up the network has full signal but says "Acquiring network address" and a speech bubble comes from the bottom right of the screen and says "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network (SSID)"

I have read this is an issue with authentication but I have also done every thing possable to rectify this. Below are the details of the equipment I am using.

Acer Aspire One netbook
Netgear VMDG280 - from virginmedia
Authentication WPA-PSK
Data encryption - TKIP (also tried AES)

Router settings
Channel - Auto
802.11 Mode - Up to 300mps
security options - WPA-PSK[TKIP] + WPA2-PSK[AES]

I did get it working by disableing the security options and I have updated the wifi drivers.

Thanks in anticipation.
Rob

Old 08-04-11, 19:35
Highly valued member

Default Re: Help Required!!! Newbie

This issue about requiring a certificate normally only arises when using WEP encryption and the box is ticked to "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network".

Assuming you're using Windows XP and Windows' own Wireless Zero Configuration to manage the wireless networking, go into the Network Connections folder (from Control Panel), right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. Click the Wireless Networks tab, highlight your wireless network and click the Properties button.

In the next Properties sheet that opens, select the Authentication tab and look to see if the "Enable IEEE 802.1x....." box is ticked. With WPA/WPA2 it shouldn't be and the option ought to be greyed out, but that is the setting which looks for a certificate to connect.
Old 08-04-11, 20:57

That's right the box is unticked and the screen is greyed out so cannot make any changes on the screen.

This is my problem as everywhere I have read seems to be that issue but that aint the case here! It did work when I disabled the router security.

Rob
Old 08-04-11, 21:17
Highly valued member

Go back into the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select Properties. Click the Wireless Networks tab, highlight your wireless network and click the Remove button. Now click the button further up to "View Available Wireless Networks". Select the one whose SSID matches that of your router and click the Connect button. You should be prompted to enter and confirm the WPA/WPA2 encryption key and should then be connected.
Old 09-04-11, 05:49

Hi mike thanks for ur reply, I have tried this over and over but don't seem to have any effect! I never had a problem with my old set up its just since we moved homes and VM gave us an updated router.
Old 09-04-11, 08:32
Global Moderator

Wandering around the net you will find any number of threads complaining bitterly about this new Virgin modem/router. This one in particular suggests that getting a replacement from Virgin might solve the problem. The only other solution offered seems to be do without the wireless bit and connect everything via ethernet cables, hardly what you expect from a wireless router.

Another thread suggests that you need an updated driver.

Quote:
right I have solved my issue, i hope it works for you.

My driver, which windows said was uptodate was wrong it was from 2007, you need a much more up to date one... download the latest driver for Atheros AR5007EG for Vista from here:
****://www.atheros.cz/download.php?a...007EG&system=3

just download the file and then go to install new drivers, browse to where you saved it and load it up, once I did this the wireless works fine... if only tech support who are qualified and experienced could have suggested this!

Good luck
As I understand it that particular Netgear router has the Atheros chipset so their driver might fix your problem. Go this page and choose the right one for your system.
Old 12-04-11, 17:14

Drivers updated but still no joy. I disabled the security and it connected fine updated drivers put the security back in but still the same.

I have just added my old router to my new one via ethernet and the laptop picks up two networks and the old one conects fine with the security on.

Last edited by bobssy; 12-04-11 at 17:20.
Old 12-04-11, 17:36
Global Moderator

With normal wireless routers you need to connect your PC via an ethernet cable first and connect to the internet. Whilst still connected by wire you then set up the wireless connection along with it's security. Only when both are working do you dis-connect the wired one. Have you tried that?
Old 12-04-11, 21:00

I have a VM cable modem thats also a wireless router, that is connected to the desktop via ethernet then there is the laptop that wot connect so I have now connected my old router to the new one in one of the 4 ports via ethernet and this allows the laptop to work.

I now have two networks in the house due to two wireless routers.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 13-04-11, 06:41
Highly valued member

Quote:
I now have two networks in the house due to two wireless routers.
That's fine but, if you want to have the computers networked for "File & Printer Sharing", you may need to have both connected to the old router so that they're in the same Subnet (IP address range).