Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Hints and Tips

Old 12-03-11, 12:43
Familiar face

Lightbulb Use an old router or access point as a wifi adapter and save !

I thought others might find this useful. I recently bought a Samsung TV which has internet functionality. Unfortunately, however, the wifi adapter for it is an official Samsung one which costs about 80. My Xbox 360 has the same issue.

I found an excellent solution which was to 'reverse engineer' an old wifi router I had kicking around so that it became a wireless bridge / adapter. What this means is that it effectively becomes a stand alone wifi adapter. You simply plug devices into it using a network cable and they think they're accessing a normal, wired network. To do this, you need to replace the router's firmware (built in software) with a replacement from www.dd-wrt.com . They support a large number of routers, although these are usually ones without ADSL modems built in.

Some routers already say that they have this function but most will only talk to the same make and model of router and most people don't have two identical routers. I spent hours trying to get mine to work before realising this. Also, most only use old style WEP encryption whereas dd-wrt firmware uses any encryption including WPA2 so your network remains really secure.

There are further instructions about how to do this at http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...reless-bridge/ which provides a simple, plain English, guide on how to get it up and running.

If you get stuck feel free to ask for help. I'm not an expert but may have encountered the same 'head scratching' moments as you!

Jonathan
Old 12-03-11, 20:11
Highly valued member

Default Re: Use an old router or access point as a wifi adapter and save !

Interesting idea. I have a couple of unused routers so I'll have a play about with one of them. What isn't clear is which of the listed files on the "dd-wrt" site should be used.
Old 12-03-11, 20:18
Familiar face

Hi Mike,

I'm using a Linksys WAP54G v3.1 access point. There are two possible files for that: 'Micro generic' and 'Micro_OLSRD generic'. I used ther first one. OLSRD seemed to be something non-standard that I didn't need when I googled it. It all works fine. Not sure which files you're being offered but its probably the first one marked 'generic' without any extra stuff next to it.

Let me know if you get stuck.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Old 12-03-11, 20:24
Highly valued member

The router I'm going to try it with is a Linksys WRT54GS v5.1 so I will try the Micro generic. Thanks.
Old 12-03-11, 20:40
Familiar face

As I understand it, yours was the type of router they initially built the firmware for so it should work like a dream. Also, if you decide to use it as normal router again, all you have to do is change a 'tick box' setting and it reverts back to normal, whilst still using the dd_wrt firmware. The dd_wrt firmware seems to be quite widely used as an open source alternative for manufacturers' own firmware anyway.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-11, 20:44
Familiar face

Hi Mike,

Might also be worth reading this, which I just found...

http://lifehacker.com/#!5563196/turn...wi+fi-repeater

Refers to your router.

Jonathan
Old 12-03-11, 21:20
Highly valued member

Trying to install the firmware just comes up with a "Failed" error message and, for that router at least, it seems to involve a much more complicated procedure than simply installing the .BIN file. It seemed like a good idea, but I'm not going to waste any more time on it.
Old 12-03-11, 21:57
Familiar face

That's a shame. Mine just worked 'out of the box'. Each router has its own faq/wiki which is worth reading for common problems/solutions. Probably worth it if you really need it as a solution to a problem, as I did. Probably not if you're just tinkering though.