Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband, 3G & Dial-up Help

Old 01-06-07, 08:53

Default BT Home Hub & WPA-PSK encryption

I have just set up my BT wireless Home Hub and wish to use WPA-PSK encryption. I have changed this successfully, and it seems to work. However, each time I switch the router off it defaults back to WEP encryption, and I have to re-set it, which is irritating. On calling the BT helpdesk they stated that they do not support WPA encryption and that there is nothing I can do about it. This can't be right can it? There must be a way that I can change it to WPA-PSK and have the router keep the settings when it is switched off.
Old 01-06-07, 09:05
Top contributor

Default Re: BT Home Hub & WPA-PSK encryption

Have a look at this page

If you have more than one wireless network adaptor, they must all support WPA
Old 01-06-07, 09:13

Thanks, I'll take a look at this. Yes, all of my wireless adapters support WPA.
Old 01-06-07, 10:00

Thanks - I have taken a look, but I don't have the BT fusion router - it's the new one (don't know what it's called, but it's the latest one on their website). Just to add to the difficulties I'm also running Windows Vista rather than XP.
Old 05-06-07, 00:27
Established member

>> However, each time I switch the router off it defaults back to WEP encryption

Routers are like mini-PCs, with their own processor, power supply and memory etc - if you switch them off then they will return to their default settings. If you make any changes then you have to save them to long term memory.
The Home hub is designed to be left on continually so that you can use voip and broadband talk.

What in effect is likely happening now is equivalent to typing a document in word - and as long as the PC is switched on and the document open, then the document is saved in the RAM memory - switch off the PC and it goes - unless you save the file to the hard drive. Routers dont have a hard drive, but instead you need to commit the changes to the routers to the Flash memory.

I'm not personally familiar with the HH Im afraid, but most routers have a setting somewhere which allows you to save your changes to long term memory. On the vast majority of routers Ive worked with its simply called "commit".
Old 10-06-07, 01:14
Established member

As 'Kitz' said:-
"The Home hub is designed to be left on continually so that you can use voip and broadband talk."

Most people, including myself just leave the HomeHub on 24hrs, especialy if you also have the VOIP phone line, so I would leave it on and it would save your problem.