Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Music & audio

Old 09-05-05, 09:23
Familiar face

Default a few nero probs!

Hi All, We didn't have a lot of time to experiment with our new 'toy' Phillips DVD RW & just to let you know we're not clever we had to have it installed for us. The first time I used it, to burn a music file, everything was OK. I found the Nero confusing, naturally(!), as it comprised media player, OEM, Toolkit, Express 2, User Guides + Startsmart. The user guides took so much time to find what I was seeking that I found it more quickly on the Ahead tutorials. The second time I used it, was to copy a cd. Something I must have done caused it to burn 'image file'. After trying to understand what that meant - I ran out of time & had to give it to a mate to copy on their burner! The third time I tried it; again from a file, the cd tray wouldn't open. Once the project had been 'aborted by user' the tray opened! I've tried it again today and the tray won't open either when it should or when its been 'aborted by user'. I've obviously thrown a gremlin into it and wondering is it worth uninstalling the Nero and reinstalling? Sorry to be vague on what I've done but these 3 occasions have been over weeks & I forget the exact details. I did try on WMP 9 but that didn't recognise anything. My OS is 98SE. I'd appreciate any advice given in Idiot Language! Thank you..

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 09-05-05, 09:50
Top contributor

Default Re: a few nero probs!

Nero is not just a nasty feller as it makes out. Your DVDRW drive will be capable of writing to CD as well ass DVD, Nero needs to know first what media, CD or DVD. Open Nero Burning Rom Click on New Compilation, from the resulting dialogue box chose CD or DVD from the left hand panel. You will now have a choice of formats Copy Cd/ Audio CD / Data CD Etc. Make your choice and follow the guide. In the write speed box it's best to choose a low speed for burning no matter how fast your drive says it is.

The Image you refer to is Nerio creeating an image of your source disc to the hard drive. When this is completed the tray will eject, replace with a blank disc. Nero will now copy the image to the blank, on completion, (you will be informed), click 'Done' - disc ejects and Nero automatically deletes the image.

Takes a little to become conversant with Nero but well worth the patience.

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 09-05-05, 09:50
Top contributor

Do you have 2 CD drives? If so, you can put your CD into one and do a direct copy to your writer. If not, you have to create an image file. This is where Nero copies the CD to your hard drive. Then you put in a blank CD-R and it copies the image to the CD.
Don't try to take the CD out while Nero is running. Can you open the CD drawer OK now?

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 09-05-05, 23:53
Familiar face

Hi George, Many thanks for your advice. I got your reply about half hr. ago & had a quick try. When I had my first (and only) success with this - I used the Startsmart & it went like a dream, even gave me my music file without me having to look for it. I followed your advice for the Burning ROM & got as far as 'audio cd' then couldn't retrieve my music files. I will persevere with the practicing though & I agree with you....I have learned the meaning of the word; 'patience' ever since I had a compy :-)
Will let you know when I'm successful! Thanks again...

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 10-05-05, 00:15
Familiar face

Hi Richie, Thank you for your reply. Erm,...do I have two cd drives? If that includes the original cd-rom, then yes; if it doesn't; then no. (!! IT'S ALRIGHT !!)...Please feel free to laugh; I don't mind a bit! There's really no need to bang your head on the desk in order to appear 'polite'!
However, both you & George have given me some helpful info....BUT could I just ask that what I attempted to do today - copy to cd from music on hard disk - is what I did the first time I used this and it was no problem then. So why has it floundered now (after the time I came to grief when I tried to copy from a cd and got in a mess over image file and sundry other things I can't recall?) Which is why I think I must've unknowingly altered something I shouldn't have. Therefore, would you advise I should uninstall the Nero & then reinstall from cd provided or would I merely be making the hot water hotter?

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 10-05-05, 07:55
Top contributor

Hey, everyone was a beginner at some point.

Don't reinstall Nero. It should be fine.
If you have created an image file, you need to set that as the source to burn from, rather than music files.

Have a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ftp6.nero.com/Support_doc/PDFImage/BurnCDImage.pdf>this tutorial</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 13-05-05, 10:33
Familiar face

Hi again Richie P, Thanks for the link, I already had that when I first came across that problem, but appreciate your help. OK - here's one for you! You recall the cd drawer not opening when it should & only doing so once the project had been aborted? Yesterday I thought I'd try & copy a cd - that should be simple enough, yeah? (Again, this is something that caused no pain when I first did it.) Nothing. Even the drawer didn't open after exiting. To console myself; I tried to play the cd just to listen to - no sound! The speakers were working as all the other sounds were ok. SO, my Q is:- is it possible that in my trial & error a few weeks ago in trying to understand nero; that I could've unwittingly altered the drives? Thanks in advance of any advice....
d.b.

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 13-05-05, 10:47
Top contributor

The drawer may be stuck. Try restarting your computer and try again. If still no joy, shut it down and unplug it from the mains. Just underneath the drawer should be a small hole. Straighten out a paperclip and push it in to release the drawer. Take out the CD and restart the computer.

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 13-05-05, 16:33
Familiar face

Thanks R, & I'm really sorry to labour this, but its nothing that obvious. I'd already tried that when it first happened, only to find the drawer isn't actually stuck! i.e. if I press to open, it'll slide out instantly...just won't do it when it's required to! Thus, instead of opening automatically when it's supposed to - it won't, neither will it open when I press it when I'm trying to actually USE it for the purpose its there for! Right now, for instance, I can open it - no worry, can even accidentally bang my leg against the damned thing and it'll ping open.....just not when I try to BURN.....(baby, burn !!)

<hr width=100% size=1>
Old 13-05-05, 19:54
Top contributor

I had this problem a while back - the answer then was to Turn Off the computer, not Restart. Switch on again and hopefully the problem has been rectified, now try burning a CD with Nero.

To save CD's and money, use a CDRW disc until you are more comfortable using Nero.

I've just spent a couple of days becoming familar with a new, to me, program for slideshows on DVD. Using a RW saved a few bob for sure.

<hr width=100% size=1>