Go Back   Web User Forums > All Other Technical Help Topics > All other topics

Old 12-04-12, 15:39

Angry GimpShop.com won't install

I don't know if I'm in the right area here. If not, then can someone tell me where I should post my problem? Webuser magazine 23rd Feb 2012 has a masterclass on GimpShop. Looks great. But when I try to install the download, it tells me that it is installed - but it's not. It offers a few free programmes with the install. I have rejected all of the extras - get nice blue bar - finishes the install - then I find that it hasn't installed. I thought it might be something to do with me rejecting all the extras, so I accepted them all. I now have these extras nicely installed on my comp. Problem is, that the main file GimpShop is not installed. Please, someone help me here before I explode!!
Old 12-04-12, 15:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: GimpShop.com won't install

This solution may help if you can understand it (read down) http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archiv.../t-136332.html
Old 12-04-12, 18:07

I'm glad you said 'may help - if you can understand it'. It reads like a foreign language to me! Thanks for the reply, but if anyone else could help me, using plain words, of one syllable if necessary, please help.
Old 12-04-12, 19:29
Global Moderator

I can understand your frustration. That link relates to compiling a working copy of Gimp from the source code - it has nothing to do with your problem.

I've just downloaded the programme myself, and I have exactly the same result as you - a whole pile of **** wanting to download itself and no sign of a programme anywhere. I'll keep hunting!
Old 12-04-12, 19:46
Global Moderator

It would seem that there are two versions of GimpShop - the original by a bloke called Scott and another one which he alleges has been stolen by a third party. The original now seems to have been removed (or at least, no longer maintained) and my guess is that the other one won't run in 64 bit software. I've got a 32 bit version of XP on my PC so I'll try it in that and see what happens.
Old 12-04-12, 20:27
Global Moderator

No joy, I'm afraid. The first link I tried was this one. That's the one that comes complete with a pile of rubbish add-ons during the install process. That appears to be Version 2.6. The second one was here. That seems to be Version 2.2.8 Fix 1. Which one did you try?