Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 27-09-18, 13:26
Enthusiastic contributor

Default fibre broadband

Anyone know how standard telephones connect to a fibre broadband?
I am having FTTP installed in a couple of weeks as i spoke to BT to reduce my cost and it is cheaper to have fibre than my existing ADSL.
Talking to BT last night they seemed to think they will connect fibre to each socket,but i have seven sockets connected to the master socket by the Hub,though only 4 phones connected to sockets. I can't see them wiring my whole house free of charge.
Where does the fibre cable end? they say it has to be joined at ground level as the machine is too expensive to take up a ladder.So by that i assumed the fibre ended at the box they want to put on the wall outside,and joined to my existing copper network.
Rewiring is not a easy option as it was put in when the ceilings were down downstairs and under floor which is only crawling space downstairs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 27-09-18, 13:49
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: fibre broadband

I would think that FTTP is where they bring the fibre cable all the way to your premises. They should change the master socket so that you have a broadband socket and telephone socket, The only real difference between FTTC and FTTP is that you lose your copper cable to the cabinet because, effectively the cabinet now resides in or on your house. I don't what equipment they bring to do that but if they say it is too heavy or expensive to take up a ladder it must be pretty bulky. I don't think you will be able to have the fibre broadband signal going to every socket as I believe the broadband signal and the telephone signal is split either at the terminating equipment or the master socket. This is the way I think it all works but as I don't FTTP I could be wrong.
Old 27-09-18, 17:01
Passionate member

Surely the fibre cable runs underground, not overhead, so why would they take a machine up a ladder?
Old 27-09-18, 20:24
Highly valued member

Does this help you?

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/a...broadband-work

Bide your time and go for Gigabit which is much better than the current fibre. Used more at the moment for commercial use but is going to come to domestic homes in the future.
https://www.lifewire.com/definition-...thernet-816338

fosseway
Old 30-09-18, 10:31
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1 View Post
Surely the fibre cable runs underground, not overhead, so why would they take a machine up a ladder?

they can now take fibre overhead,but say they still need to join it at ground level.
i am getting even more confused over this,i spoke to BT on Wednesday after a engineer turned up unannounced and after an hour i was still no clearer what will be done, he seemed to think they were going to dig the cable underground. and my sockets would all be converted to fibre.
yesterday i noticed the order status was changed to cancelled,so i rang and was told something about a shortage of tails and some work needed to be done at the exchange,and will take a week to push a few buttons.he also told me that the phone won't be touched and will remain on copper.
so wait and see seems to be the option i have, as i have searched on line and can find nothing that explains what will happen to existing phone line.maybe someone that has FTTP can explain how they connect the telephones.
Old 30-09-18, 14:06
Highly valued member

Beefy,
Why are you proposing to let somebody loose on your building when even they, the alleged experts, don't appear to know what they are doing according to your commentary? All sounds very iffy to me.
Hope you have checked this work out with your insurers just in case it goes
t-ts up on you.

fosseway