Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Music & Audio

Notices

Old 19-10-18, 19:30
Familiar face

Default Distorted sound

The audio from my PC DVD drive has suddenly become very distorted. I just ripped a CD and the result was dreadful ( nothing wrong with the CD).
Playing the CD direct from the drive was also awful. Copying it using CDBurnerXP wasted a disc too.
Playing previously ripped CDs using Media Player or any other music player was faultless.
The drive seems to read data discs ok.

My PC is a 6 year old Dell running Windows 10, with a TSST SH-216BB DVD drive.
Is it likely that I need to replace the drive or could the problem lie elsewhere, like the October update perhaps.
No problem ripping on my 9 year old laptop running W10 with all updates, incidentally.
Old 19-10-18, 21:52
Global Moderator

Default Re: Distorted sound

You could try reinstalling your audio drivers but Win 10 has a sound trouble shooter in Update & Security/Troubleshoot you could try to see what that reports.
Old 20-10-18, 18:17
Familiar face

No joy with the troubleshooter, I'm afraid. I don't see that new audio drivers would help seeing that music already on the pc sounds fine, or am I missing something?
New firmware for the drive maybe, but I'm not sure that any exists.
Old 20-10-18, 20:44
Top contributor

Have you got VLC Player? That has an excellent Sound setup Suite with a 10 bar equalizer and "Room" Presets (and more) I often use the Radio section and Tweak the Sound on the fly that way

Looking elsewhere Try adjusting the Speaker arrangement in Sound
No Joy then you want the HD RealTek sound Driver Refreshing

Here is the Walkthrough for Windows 7/8/10 with screenshots (3 methods)
and Do be aware there are 2 different numbered Drivers Viz AC'97 & AC'98 NOTE: The #'97 driver was For the Older Windows PC's up to about Windows XP or Vista ?
The Download.com site has the Full Audio Sound manager suite listed for Both which comes with the Driver, about 35 MB
Old 20-10-18, 22:06
Global Moderator

You could try a DVD cleaner if reinstalling the drivers doesn't resolve.

Realtek drivers include a HD Audio Manager where you can set the sound up the way you want to.

If it isn't listed in Control Panel/All Control Panel Items then right click on the sound icon in the taskbar and select Open Sound Settings and click on Device Properties.

Click on Enhancements and check the boxes for Environment and Equalizer where you can use the dropdown in each to make your selection.

Click on Loud Equalizer - OK - then see what your sound is like.

Leave the other boxes unchecked.
Old 21-10-18, 18:11
Familiar face

Bedstor, I've done as you suggested - though I only have High Definition Audio Device, Intel Display Audio andNVIDIA High Definition Audio listed - no Realtek. All show that they have the best driver installed.
Cantrel, I couldn't find Loud Equalizer shown. However, with the very high level of distortion I'm not convinced that tweaking settings is going to resolve this.
I ran a cleaning disc, twice, and realised the audio on that disc played correctly.

Curious.
I then tried playing other audio CD's. Some were faultless. Some weren't. These play fine on any other equipment. Based on this limited test it seems the drive doesn't like Captain Beefheart albums! More experimentation later.
Thank you both for taking the time to assist me.
Old 21-10-18, 19:00
Top contributor

As Soon as you said"NVidia Audio Drivers " I Tried Duckduckgo and At the top of the list was this Tutorial for Windows 10 /Nvidia sound drivers
This should get results https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...or-windows-10/
Use the top 2 sections(on the page) in this order (Might not have to go to the 2nd?)
Update the Drivers using Device Manager
Download Drivers from NVIDIA
and you need the Graphics card name and OS here (Critical) even if its Integrated Graphics
1. Go to NVIDIA download page.

2. Select the product information and system information depending on the Graphics card and system version that you are using . (Here take “GeForce GTX 750” and “Windows 10 64-bit” as example.) Then click on SEARCH button.

FYI Mine is called (On this PC) N650 Ti /W10 64 bit) Lots of different names and specs and that is before we get to the onboard Memory specs which doesn't count on this task
Old 21-10-18, 22:15
Global Moderator

That Loud Equalizer may just be a Realtek thing but you seem to have a number of audio adapters.

I think the first one you listed will be what MS puts on, but your main audio adapter will take preference as Realtek does on mine.
Old 21-10-18, 22:26
Familiar face

Bedstor, I already tried updating the NVIDIA drivers through Device Manager, but following your link I downloaded and installed the latest driva from NVIDIA.
No change.
However, after lens cleaning multiple times, my 'test' cd stills ounds dreadful on the first couple of tracks then sounds fine on the following tracks. I think this must prove that the DVD drive is the culprit.
I'll stop fiddling for tonight but I'll keep you posted.
Thanks both of you once again.

S.
Old 21-10-18, 22:36
Global Moderator

Did the DVD previously sound awful throughout the tracks, or is this the first time that you have gone this far ?

If repeated cleaning is getting somewhere then you seem to be on the right track - no pun intended