Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Notices

Old 19-10-18, 12:48
Passionate member

Default Re: Epson Printer and non brand ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrwood View Post
Yes you are correct and there was such a backlash they had to revert to allowing 3rd party inks. Now you just get a warning which you have to accept before it will use the 3rd party inks (At least it does on my 2 HP printers)

Correct but now it appears that Epson have gone down that route by offering a firmware update allegedly to improve things for the user but in fact inhibits them from using 3rd party inks, as yet it appears that they have 'got away' with it! Epson users need to create a lot of hassle for Epson to make them reconsider, as the Hp users did.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 19-10-18, 14:49
Established member

The best way to reset the software is to re-install the printer using the disk that came with it, and switch off all requests to update the software.

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 19-10-18, 15:07
Enthusiastic contributor

Too late once the firmware has been updated. The firmware is on the printer electronics not in the driver software.
Old 19-10-18, 16:32
Global Moderator

I've been looking at the control panel on my old Epson SX425W and it has a Reset Default Settings option but not sure if that would just reset the wireless settings but I didn't take it any further to see if it gave a choice of settings you could reset.

This article suggests there could be more than one but don't know if it would give the option to factory reset to out of the box.

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CD16201~faq-254125

If any Epson owners have been scammed into accepting a firmware update and would like to see if it can be reverted, then perhaps they'd like to try this route.
Old 19-10-18, 17:21
Familiar face

Talk about the unluckiest person at the moment, started a month ago, TV on the blink, and internet down to almost no speed at all. Firstly had the internet 'seen to' and required a new router. An improvement, but not what I would call very good. Next, TV decided to give up completely, so a new one purchased. Being a lone female pensioner, had to fork out 145 for delivery and set up (on the wall, on existing bracket). They arrived to tell me, new TV would not fit current bracket, Speakers; PVR and Blue Tooth would not work either on new TV. They managed to get it up on the old bracket with some adjustments, but could not connect to internet, or freeview or any 'smart' TV .
Suggested to go back to shop and change TV, it was a Toshiba and they have known 'chip' problems with having cable and not its own dedicated outside antenna. So, did that and waited a further week for delivery, in which time internet provided confirmed best I would get!. New delivery day, and my sister had kindly bought me a new speaker (I am profoundly deaf) and a combined PVR and Blue Ray. Installer took one look and said he was not paid to install anything other than put TV on existing bracket, again, stated bracket was 'too old', I told him to take it all away and I would be in later for a refund. He backed off a bit and said he would try to put up onto existing bracket - it required 'slightly' longer screws (4) which he 'luckily' had in his tool box (he took mine, both old and new with him). Again, I told him to leave the accessories, but again, expecting a tip I suspect, (some chance) he connected the speaker and PVR took about 5 minutes. Connected to internet, but kept dropping once he had left. j I told him to leave the cartons the items came in, (they come in handy for sending parcels this time of year, even cut down), but he insisted he would take them out of my way. When he had gone my sister asked where all the wall fittings were for putting the speaker on the wall, as shown in the manual, but, he had, of course taken them with him. A call to the store saw him putting them through my letter box early next day. Later the next day, we tried some setting up on the TV, and he had told me he had changed the required TV Code from 0000 to 1234 - neither code will work - back to the store, and internet, no one, even Samsung can help. So an engineer visit was made for Wednesday 17th October. That came and went, another trip to the store, and although the above information re: time and date was written down by the store, when they telephoned the engineer, was told it was set for 24th not 17th, so yet a longer wait. Have had to buy a 'mile' long ethernet cable to try and connect to router, eventually, and then all this with me updating Windows manually last week, and after being nagged by Epson this week, to upgrade can you imagine what I feel like doing. (answers on a postcard!!!!!)
So, am I just very unlucky or is this just normal for others too?
Old 19-10-18, 19:13
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I've been looking at the control panel on my old Epson SX425W and it has a Reset Default Settings option but not sure if that would just reset the wireless settings but I didn't take it any further to see if it gave a choice of settings you could reset.

This article suggests there could be more than one but don't know if it would give the option to factory reset to out of the box.

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CD16201~faq-254125

If any Epson owners have been scammed into accepting a firmware update and would like to see if it can be reverted, then perhaps they'd like to try this route.
Any reset would simply reset it to the default values of whatever version of firmware was installed on the printer. It would not set it back to a previous version of the firmware.
Old 19-10-18, 21:32
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimper View Post
If the printer manufacturers charged a fair price for their ink customers would not need to buy non genuine cartridges, the whole printer/ink issue is not only unfair it is also bad for the environment.

If you look at what is inside the printers and what they do the price charged for them is ridiculously low but they make up by charging ridiculous amounts for the ink. By charging very low printer prices (as low as 30) they are encouraging people to scrap and keep buying new.
I agree with this. We don't buy new printers very often though. As pensioners we have to avoid unnecessary costs whenever we can, so our previous printers were beyond redemption when they were replaced! All the same, we've never felt it worth the risk of our printer becoming unusable by using compatibles instead of genuine cartridges. It hasn't been a huge expense as we don't print a massive amount of stuff.

@ ladylouisa
Quote:
So, am I just very unlucky or is this just normal for others too?
I don't know, but clearly you've had a lot of hassle and expense. I hope things will go better for you now.
Old 19-10-18, 21:57
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrwood View Post
Any reset would simply reset it to the default values of whatever version of firmware was installed on the printer. It would not set it back to a previous version of the firmware.
Do you know this for a fact ?
Old 20-10-18, 10:48
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Do you know this for a fact ?
Firmware is built into the operating system of the printer and is not part of the printer driver software. It has nothing to do with Windows or any other operating system. It is installed on the printer not the computer (where the Printer driver is installed). The firmware is not included on the software CD provided with the printer when purchased as it is already installed into the printer hardware chips. You could say it is something similar to the BIOS chip in a PC. Yes it can be updated but requires a software process. Once installed the firmware is part of the printer and using any reset on the printer simply resets the version of the firmware already installed back to its defaults.

Updating the firmeware usually involves downloading a special firmware file from the manufacturer and installing it. This could be part of a download initiated by a message on screen offering to update the firmware or even surreptitiously included by the printer manufacturer in a supposed driver update. The firmware update program and update file can be hidden in the supposed driver update which in my book is very unethical. This is what I believe both HP and Epson have done. To reverse the process would normally require the manufacturer to issue a later firmware update as installing an earlier version is normally blocked. This is what HP was forced to do but Epson appear to be unrepentant.
Old 20-10-18, 14:18
Global Moderator

It's surprising what you can find on Google -

https://resetter.me/en/tutorials/eps...ware-downgrade

https://www.wic.support/download/

https://resetkey.net/download

and it seems that a reinstall could resolve -

https://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...reversal.9720/