Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Notices

Old 18-10-18, 23:52
Passionate member

Default Re: Epson Printer and non brand ink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
I have replaced my Epson WF-7610 now with an Epson WF-7710. The reason I stayed with Epson, even though I do have a HP A3 printer, is that, as scrimper has said, they are an excellent A3 double sided printer. I buy my clones from Cartridgesave now rather than the very cheapies off Ebay and the reason is that they state that "our cartridges will not invalidate your guarantee." I called them out on this and asked what happens if Epson do refuse to repair/replace my printer during the guarantee period because I have been using your cartridges. Their reply was that they would repair or replace the printer themselves. Hopefully I wont have to put this to the test.

I would be very interested in your comments on the WF-7710 and how it compares to the WF-7610.
I have been really delighted with my WF-7610 especially the full A3 scan facility but am always concerned it will pack up and what to replace it with?

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 19-10-18, 00:05
Highly valued member

If your printer is working OK, there is no reason to update the printer software.
I learned this the hard way after an HP printer update killed one of my printers.
Fortunately, I was able to use System Restore and fixed it.
Old 19-10-18, 00:09
Top contributor

An interesting article from How-To Geek. Perhaps I'll try a laser printer when the inkjet one we've got stops working! Although it doesn't affect me, I think what Epson is doing is reprehensible. They've always been against people using compatibles, but this is going too far.
Old 19-10-18, 00:35
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
An interesting article from How-To Geek. Perhaps I'll try a laser printer when the inkjet one we've got stops working! Although it doesn't affect me, I think what Epson is doing is reprehensible. They've always been against people using compatibles, but this is going too far.

If the printer manufacturers charged a fair price for their ink customers would not need to buy non genuine cartridges, the whole printer/ink issue is not only unfair it is also bad for the environment.

If you look at what is inside the printers and what they do the price charged for them is ridiculously low but they make up by charging ridiculous amounts for the ink. By charging very low printer prices (as low as 30) they are encouraging people to scrap and keep buying new.

Old 19-10-18, 09:42
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I'd keep that reply as your guarantee.

Well it is written on their web page at least on the bit where the cartridges for this particular printer are advertised.

As for how good or bad this printer is in comparison to my WF-7610 to be honest I cannot see alot of difference. The dual sided copier function is A3, which it isn't on my HP. That is only A4 although everything else is A3/A4, thats mad but there you go. That is why I decided to go with this Epson. I think the WF-7710 is just the newer version of the 7610. The touch screen menus have been revamped, prettier (?) colours and different layouts. I think the network setup is slightly better. Other than that I cannot see much difference. When I bought mine, a couple of weeks ago, Epson were offering an extended guarantee which is another reason I went for this printer. I think that offer has now been withdrawn though. The other thing that I like about Epsons is their home repair service, ie they fix it or replace it at my premises allbeit that they did bring a refurbed machine when they came which I wasn't pleased about.

I'm not at all sure about this software lark that everyone is on about either. It isn't, as far as I know, the software on your computer that gets updated as such. I think it is the software in the printer that gets updates, as well as the printer born stuff, and no amount of system restores or re-installs will change that.

Oh and the WF-7710 takes the same cartridges as the WF-7610 so that was a slight bonus. All too often I have bought a stack of cartridges that have been useless when I have had to buy a new printer or do an upgrade. I also tell people who buy cheap printers that it is very often cheaper to buy a new printer when the cartridges run out than it is to buy replacement genuine cartridges. Printer manufacturers have drastically reduced the amount of ink in the supplied cartridges now to get round that one, they now call them "test cartridges" but my advice still stands if someone has only bought a 35 to 40 pound printer.
Old 19-10-18, 09:49
Global Moderator

The content of web pages can be changed as it suits though.

I think if you first uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled from the original disk then it wouldn't have up to date firmware, so that may be a way of getting around this.

The problem would be though if it was set up to receive auto updates when switched on.

Newer printers though could already have this restriction built in like I believe HP printers once had.
Old 19-10-18, 10:58
Passionate member

Quote:
I think if you first uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled from the original disk then it wouldn't have up to date firmware, so that may be a way of getting around this.

Now I may be totally wrong on this but I was under the impression that if you updated the firmware on a device such as a printer you could not easily go back to a previous firmware?

I understand that you could revert with printer software but thought with firmware once done you could not undo it.

Reason I have this impression is that in the past I have read stories about various items of hardware that have been 'flashed' with a firmware update, something has gone wrong and they were left with a 'brick'. they always state do not interrupt a firmware update as it may render the device unusable?

I hope I am wrong here, it would be nice to know that one could undo a firmware update.

Old 19-10-18, 11:03
Global Moderator

You do have a point there and it depends upon how this update is delivered as there isn't normally an option to factory reset a printer that I know of - although I could be wrong on that - as well
Old 19-10-18, 11:55
Passionate member

Quote:
You do have a point there and it depends upon how this update is delivered as there isn't normally an option to factory reset a printer that I know of - although I could be wrong on that - as well

I always viewed firmware updates as similar to 'flashing' bios on a motherboard, if something messed up you found the motherboard unusable (unless you were lucky enough to have one with dual bios)

I have a Creative Zen touch MP3 player which worked fine with Xp but not with vista or later, I contacted Creative who said you can flash the firmware, I looked online and found lot's of users who said the firmware update rendered the player useless and unusable with no way of going back, which is why I keep an old laptop with Xp just to transfer music to the player.

Old 19-10-18, 12:21
Enthusiastic contributor

XXXXXXX

Quote:

Newer printers though could already have this restriction built in like I believe HP printers once had.
Printer firmware and printer drivers are two different things. Reverting back to the original drivers would not change the firmware.The firmware is the built in software that operates the printer when it receives print data from the printer driver of the computer, runs the set up menu etc

Yes you are correct and there was such a backlash they had to revert to allowing 3rd party inks. Now you just get a warning which you have to accept before it will use the 3rd party inks (At least it does on my 2 HP printers)