Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Notices

Old 09-10-18, 17:51
Familiar face

Default Epson Printer and non brand ink

Thought there might be a thread for printers, but must be having a longer than usual senior moment!

Anyway, without starting off the whole should I shouldn't I use non branded inks I have a question.

I have been using non epson ink in my WF2750 since the original inks ran out (as usual, very quickly). This would be over a year now, and absolutely no problems always use the same supplier who tells me nothing has changed as far as their inks are concerned.

However, since a very recent update from Epson, they are badgering me about joining up to the instant ink program. I have not. However, I have just replaced 2 colour cartridges, usual warnings, but now after initializing and clearing nozzles, only black and magenta work, and I wondered if, Epsom have finally found a way to 'muck up' my printing, or could it just be paranoia on my part? Magenta was one of the colours replaced, along with cyan which is not working. I had already ordered new cartridges, so would it be worth trying them, or have Epson had the last laugh!
Old 09-10-18, 18:49
Established member

Default Re: Epson Printer and non brand ink

I also use compatible cartridges on my Epson XP760, but apart from the usual warnings, there has been no change recently.

When you say the cartridges do not work, does that mean they show no ink coming through when you do the nozzle check, or is the printer just refusing to work at all? The latter is usually the case when the printer does not recognise the cartridges.

I don't know if you can uninstall the update, but I would uninstall the printer and re-install it with the original software disk that came with it, unticking the box which asks if you want to install the latest software. That way, you are installing the original software that worked until recently. Then make sure you refuse any future updates.

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 09-10-18, 18:50
Highly valued member

Have you got back to the supplier of the non specific inks and told him of the problem?
I have a Canon printer and use non Canon inks and have never had a problem, but last month one wouldn't work, funnily enough the magenta. The supplier is near me so I nipped in and he just held it up and said it was bubbly which meant air had got into it somehow. He said if he put it to one side it would clear but as I needed it ,like yesterday, he gave me new one.

See what your guy says. If he wont give you a new one, put the other in a safe place, put in the new other one you have and next time try the faulty one again.
I presume you ran a printer check on whether you had a a bunged up ink jet or whatever the technical term is. Some times the lesser used colours, and magenta is one, the ink cakes and causes problems. Best to run a test sheet every so often if you don't use the printer on a regular basis.

fosseway
Old 09-10-18, 18:51
Enthusiastic contributor

It would be possible, I suppose, for Epson to disable a cartridge with a software update but I don't think they would do that, at least not yet. All printers have a built in obsolesence point including Epsons. I will admit though that normally it tells you that the waste ink reserviours are full or that a service is required. I have had problems with a WF 7610 that I used clone cartridges in. The first time it went it was in guarantee. It stopped printing black. I rang Epson and they replaced it with a refurbished printer. I wasn't happy with that but that is what I got. That printer then stopped in exactly the same way but it was just out of what was left of the original guarantee.

I cannot, for definite, answer your question but either the quality of Epson printers has deteriorated immensly or, as you suggest they are killing printers that use clones.

When my Epson packed up for the second time I bought a HP A3 printer and that is still going strong even though I have put umpteen clone cartridges in it. Mind you saying that will probably be the kiss of death.
Old 09-10-18, 19:16
Enthusiastic contributor

Yes Epson have issued a firmware update which affects some printers which forces you to use only Epson dcartridges. Maybe yours is included.

See https://www.therecycler.com/posts/ep...ed-cartridges/
Old 09-10-18, 20:16
Passionate member

i thought the EU had banned printer makers from blocking non genuine cartridges?

Best advice is if the printer works do not accept any manufacturer software or firmware updates especially firmware ones.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 09-10-18, 20:21
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
I have had problems with a WF 7610 that I used clone cartridges in.

I have one of these and it is an excellent A3 printer scanner, mine is still working fine after 4 years still on Gen ink however I do have some 3rd party inks in stock (not tried yet) so I am concerned after reading your comment.

Imagine if you bought a car and disabled it if you used a different brand of fuel to what they supplied!

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 09-10-18, 23:08
Global Moderator

I've been running an Epson SX425W since 2010 on generic inks after the branded ones ran out.

I get my inks from www.stinky.com and will soon have to put another order in.

I always give the cartridges a good shake before I fit them which usually resolves any problems down the line.

This can also be done as a first check when they stop working, but if your problem is down to a firmware update then I'd complain to trading standards if they are breaking the law.
Old 09-10-18, 23:19
Top contributor

We have an Epson WF-2510 and probably being over-cautious, we always use genuine Epson cartridges and did so with our 2 previous Epson printers as well. The cartridges are cheaper at Amazon and possibly elsewhere too. I think it's also cheaper to get the XL pack. I haven't had any contact from Epson recently, other than a software update
Old 09-10-18, 23:39
Global Moderator

I think mine's too old to get any updates.

When I first installed it, it had to go online to get a patch to make it Win 7 compatible.