Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Email and Messaging

Old 26-08-18, 10:04
Highly valued member

Default Sky/ Yahoo e mail

I don't use Sky/ Yahoo e-mail very much these days but recently I had to go into it. On logging-in, a page from something called "OATH" dropped a box over the screen saying they now had control of the e-mail and before I could continue I had to agree to the new terms. Reading through I could immediately see that it was another way of getting your data. Seems to be USA based so the new rules regarding personal date do not apply to them I have heard.
It also said that you could apply certain restrictions on what information they could have, but it was all mixed in with a load of gobble de gook and trying to work out what to do was impossible.
What particularly annoys me is that I had old e-mails saved to do with some genealogy I have been doing over the years, but it seems I cannot get to it now and may be lost.
Any ideas?

fosseway
Old 26-08-18, 11:46
Passionate member

Default Re: Sky/ Yahoo e mail

Oath are just a company that have taken over certain brands inc Yahoo and AOL, I have used AOL mail for many years, I did receive some 'bumf' when they took over AOL but the email still works the same as before without any problems.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 26-08-18, 19:58
Highly valued member

Default Re: Sky/ Yahoo e mail

Thanks Scriimper,
I think that when they first took over they probably did allow you to continue using it until a certain date, but now reading through, it says that you can use the e mail but if you do you will be seen to have accepted "Oath" and your data will be used, even if you haven't actually said that they can.
This is what I don't like about it. As I don't use it now all I wanted to do was to get into the e mails so I can transfer my saved e mails. However as I stated this drop down covers the log in blocking me doing this.

fosseway