Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Email and Messaging

Old 04-10-18, 12:25
Global Moderator

Default Re: I don't like the new look gmail

Yes, but it's a very second string and only there should I be forced to use another browser because of problems or determining if problems with IE.

I just don't like using it.
Old 04-10-18, 14:42
Passionate member

lolalola

If Gmail gets too slow to open/respond etc, you can load a very basic version which is/was intended for users with very slow internet connects.
Gmail in the example below is accessed via the Google search page and the Gmail link is clicked (Iím already logged in).
As soon as the page starts to load, look to the bottom right corner and click Load basic HTML.
This opens the account in a very basic view (and options available) showing Ďall messagesí.
If you click Set basic HTML view as default view, the next time you open Gmail, the basic, quick loading view is preserved.
If a user logs out, on logging in again, the basic view again is preserved.
It may not be suitable all of the time but a user can revert back at any time by clicking the Standard View tab.
Give it a try.

Old 06-10-18, 14:08
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi Moonshine, Thanks very much for that. I have now now got the Basic view rather than the Standard view. I haven't been able to get gmail to respect Basic as my default and have to load Basic each time I log in - but that is no problem. With the standard view I get three inboxes Primary, Social and Promotion but with the basic I get one inbox which saves me having to go in all three inboxes. Thanks again Moonshine.
Old 07-10-18, 20:53
Top contributor

Quote:
With the standard view I get three inboxes Primary, Social and Promotion but with the basic I get one inbox which saves me having to go in all three inboxes.
You don't have to have 3 Inboxes in the Standard View lolalola. If you ever decide to give Standard View a try again, go to the 'Settings' cog icon at the top right hand side of the page, click on it, then on Configure Inbox:

You should the see this:

Untick all but Primary, which I think is enabled by default anyway and greyed out, and you should end up with just one Inbox ~ as it says there "Deselect all categories to go back to your old Inbox". Mine is like that with the new emails at the top. You could also like at Settings to see if there's anything there which you'd like to change, enable or disable.

There are some nice Themes available via Settings too if you want to change the appearance of your Gmail!