Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Email and Messaging

Old 26-08-18, 13:21
Enthusiastic contributor

Default G Mail Abroad

Good Afternoon All

My main e-mail client is outlook.com and I am looking for another free web-based one to use as a backup.

I am seriously considering G Mail and am wondering if it will be possible to access it using an Amazon Fire tablet from outside the UK - mainly my proposed trip to New Zealand later this year.

An advice and/or experiences much appreciated.

Regards

Roy
Old 26-08-18, 17:17
Top contributor

Default Re: G Mail Abroad

Are you aware that with many(all?) of the Email clients you can Link another email account to post to the nominated email client with the filters.
I have both my YahooMail and Aolmail "Posting" to Gmail also Yahoo is mirrored on AOLmail.
Only downside is the local mail filters bounce an odd post as Spam, but (My Tip) they are routed to their custom folder on the Target client Spam(proper) is kept these days to single Numbers only client which "generates" for us is AOL (less than a handful per week) But is never seen on the mirrored folder @ Gmail.(double filtered !) NOTE:Server side Filters are very strong Now I set the Maximum local filters @ Yahoo when it was bad (1997)@ 50+ Spam per session. Now they are almost all redundant in 2018,(Have maybe 1 Spam every few months) never got around to editing them down

You did not say which browser you are using but If you are a Google Chrome user and Registered with a Google Account Why not set the Chrome Browser settings to Sync (on PC) while you are on holiday then you can open up everything in any place as if you never went away. I have done it when on a strange terminal (Only thing DO Close and LOG OUT when you finish your session> you will get a notification email, ex Gmail about the account being opened in a strange place/location with the time (It does also show on the log list) Just open it and Click to Acknowledge it was you OK?
With Android Tablets you have the Chrome links but do activate the Gmail Email app, the "Red M" if it is not showing in the Google folder via the Google Playstore link
Old 26-08-18, 17:45
Enthusiastic contributor

Bedstor - thanks for the reply.

I use Avant browser with the Chrome rendering engine but I don't think that allows me to use the Sync method.

Our tablet is an Amazon Fire so I don't think the Google Store is available.

I just wonder how much authentication I will need for G Mail on the tablet whilst away.

I used to use the bt.com e-mail account for this previously but have changed ISP now and have therefore lost that

New ISP is Plusnet but the e-mail setup is proving difficult to set up which is why I am looking elsewhere.

Regards

Roy
Old 26-08-18, 17:46
Established member

Hi,

I don't live in the UK, and I use my Amazon Fire (bought in the UK) to access both my Hotmail and Gmail accounts without any hassle. Yes, I was at first notified that a previously unknown device had accessed my account but once logged, no further alarms were raised.
Old 26-08-18, 18:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Bally

Thanks for the info. - that is what I was wondering about.

One bit of clarification please - where you say "once logged" in relation to the 'unknown' device, did you have to use some sort of previously set up security or did you do it through the tablet there and then?

Does doing that make it a 'trusted device' and is that for the one usage or is it for ever?

Regards

Roy
Old 28-08-18, 07:24
Enthusiastic contributor

I have used the fire in Australia to check my outlook mail with no problems i also have gmail but dont look at it much so havent bothered to try and put it on the fire you could could google gmail login and do it that way i have them synd on my phone and another old nexus tablet that i have and they work fine you do get warned from gmail about the unknown device logging in i think thats just for your safety.

I have just opened my gmail account by just googling login on my fire all good.
Old 28-08-18, 09:22
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Bally and Silly

All that information is very useful to me.

Your interest and help is much appreciated.

Best regards

Roy
Old 28-08-18, 12:38
Established member

@daddybear......Hi,

In answer to your last query, no, it was just a notification of a new device being used, and once delivered (and in the absence of any query on my part), no further notification was received. It was therefore assumed to be kosher and a trusted device.....It was the same kind of notification I received from both Hotmail and Gmail when I started to use Linux for my main online email activities.
Cheers.
Old 28-08-18, 19:09
Top contributor

Suppose you do use Gmail on your New device Do Check that IMAP is enabled otherwise the Sync will fail or go Patchy? It is the feature which keeps Gmail (and all the rest ) stable when detecting Flagged transferable data
Usually opening up your Google account and saving the cookies (on the new device) will suffice
But if it does not work here is what to do, activate the IMAP Feature on the PC Tutorial with screenshots POP is also Active sometimes written as "POP3"
http://pop2imap.com/gmail-on-android.php

Note: This is Not the Current Layout of Gmail Unless you have not updated the program If YES, To reveal the Link Click on the Settings Cog on the right side
And do study the Feature choices on that page/menu as regards "Routing options"
Old 29-08-18, 11:47
Enthusiastic contributor

Thank you for the information Bedstor.

Regards

Roy