Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Open Forum

Old 14-11-17, 13:10
Highly valued member

Default And now for the Good News .....

Bloomberg says London will remain Europe's financial capital

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41980919

Quotes
Mr Bloomberg, whose data terminals are used by many dealers and bankers, last week opened a new European headquarters in London between the Bank of England and St Paul's Cathedral.

The 3.2 acre site has more than one million square feet of office space.

Asked on BBC Radio 4's Today programme if he would have gone ahead with the major development had be known about the Brexit decision, Mr Bloomberg said: "There's just no question in my mind ... [we] absolutely would have because London is always going to be the financial centre of Europe for the foreseeable future."

London had a range of attractions unmatched by any other European city: "It has the things the finance industry needs. It is English speaking, it is family friendly, it has a lot of culture so that you can attract these people here because, remember, if your family won't live here, you can't take a job here, so here has got to be attractive."

The capital's commuters may be surprised to hear Mr Bloomberg also highlighted London's transport system as a plus: "It is a city with the best transportation and communication and scale and it is already here, so its hard to see that going away."

However, he said the growth rate of the capital as a financial centre would be restrained as a result of the Brexit vote: "Some jobs will move, although they may very well be replaced here, but the growth rate of London as a financial centre is certainly not what it would be if Brexit doesn't take place."

Mr Bloomberg added: "New York is the financial centre of the United States. London is the financial centre of Europe. It's going to stay that way for a long time."

The EU negotiators will be well aware that they would be foolish to force the UK into a corner with intransigent, unacceptable, outrageous demands.
For if they do, they will also be aware that if they force a Hard Brexit on us, the EU could well be the biggest losers.

The current EU posturing is to be expected but as the Brexit deadline nears, compromises can (and will) be reached provided the EU don't shoot themselves in the foot by insisting on demands that are totally unacceptable to the UK. It's their call.

The EU is hoping to screw the British Taxpayer for as much as they can get with exorbitant Exit Fees. If they continue to do this, they will also be aware that they could end up with a lot less UK pounds to fill the EU financial black hole after we exit this corrupt organisation.

Spit
Old 14-11-17, 13:21
Passionate member

Default Re: And now for the Good News .....

Good news indeed.
I don't understand why the stayers are STILL worried?
Old 14-11-17, 13:38
Top contributor

Of course, Bloomberg also said >

Brexit is the “single stupidest thing any country has ever done” apart from the election of Donald Trump as US president.

Bloomberg argued that “it is really hard to understand why a country that was doing so well wanted to ruin it” with the Brexit vote

Ah, but keep quiet about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-besides-trump
Old 14-11-17, 14:26
Passionate member

Only time will tell if it's been ruined I guess
Old 14-11-17, 16:41
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart40 View Post
Of course, Bloomberg also said >

Brexit is the “single stupidest thing any country has ever done” apart from the election of Donald Trump as US president.

Bloomberg argued that “it is really hard to understand why a country that was doing so well wanted to ruin it” with the Brexit vote

Ah, but keep quiet about that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-besides-trump
OK, Stewart, but does that actually negate what Spit posted ?
Old 14-11-17, 17:04
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laichlea9 View Post
OK, Stewart, but does that actually negate what Spit posted ?
Gives a fuller report & not just through totally 'rose-tinted' glasses.
Apart from the link, the rest is 'opinion'.

"Would I have done it if I knew they were going to drop out? I’ve had some thoughts that maybe I wouldn’t have, but we are there,
we are going to be very happy."

"London was the centre of Europe but warned that was “not going to be as true any more” due to Brexit."
Old 14-11-17, 18:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post

The EU is hoping to screw the British Taxpayer for as much as they can get with exorbitant Exit Fees. If they continue to do this, they will also be aware that they could end up with a lot less UK pounds to fill the EU financial black hole after we exit this corrupt organisation.

Spit
Yes because they know damn well that without our 'magic money tree' coming in they will have to reach more in their own pockets to shore up the EU to prevent the whole lot collapsing.

The UK managed perfectly well before we joined the EU and we will manage just as well on our own and spending our money on what we want not what they tell us to do with it.
Old 15-11-17, 14:03
Highly valued member

Money Tree is right, funding white elephants which have cost millions some which nobody wants, so no body manages and just built left abandoned to fall into ruin.

Major highways through Europe which go to nowhere, New airports with no traffic sit abandoned. Promises to East Europeans that the EU tax payers will build them a new highway network/infrastructure, so what do the East European government do they sit on their hand (or rather cash) and just let the roads fall into complete disrepair waiting for the Western Europe Tax Payers to stump up and when their own citizens complain about lack of maintenance their government just points to the west for not coming good on their obligations as the EU member states. But who repairs our roads and who picks up our bill.

It's a bit like my wife and Birthdays, when it's her birthday I take her out and pay for a meal, when it's my birthday I take her out and pay for a meal. how does that work out I often wonder

And that's forgetting completely about all the inherent waste, corruption cream scooping, and over the top self paid expenses that goes on within the actual EU itself. The EU operates like a political mafia and now people are waking up to it and Junker and crew are scrapping the barrel , or at least they are for billions they are use to being able to squander. So no wonder they are hacked off about Brexit they could have continued to plunder the UK for the next 20 years or more before declaring the UK just another failed satellite economy and really turning the screws same as they have with Greece.
Old 15-11-17, 19:46
Familiar face

I'm with Scrimper on this one. We managed perfectly well before, and we'll be better off without this drain on our finances and being told which laws we can have.

Who ever heard of a club (which is what the EUSSR really is) demanding a leaving fee anyway?

As for the money tree, what's stopping them doing what the Bank (not) of England does (actually they do)?

The Bank (not) of England is a very lucrative private company, separate from government and run for the benefit of it's shareholders since 1694.

The way the money tree works is that "the bank" invents new money by the simple act of typing numbers on a computer, then corrupt politicians agree to "borrow" that imaginary money as if it were a real loan, and guess who gets to pay the compound interest forever.

That's right. You and me. It's a SCAM, and the sooner that tree comes down, the better it will be for all but the very rich.

It's not just me saying that. A few Google (or other) searches will show that's exactly how it works.
Old 16-11-17, 10:36
Top contributor

I see. One can make such comments as above, but not a simple harmless tongue-in-cheek remark in reply.