Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 11-11-17, 10:40
Passionate member

Default Photo transfer from iPad

Poss. This has been asked before. I have had a small gadget that plugs into an iPad and is not accepted by it, but nonetheless it is ideal for transferring photos on sd cards to iPad.
It cannot download pics from iPad onto a sd card, is there any gadget that can do this?
Old 11-11-17, 13:52
Highly valued member

Default Re: Photo transfer from iPad

I don't know about a gadget, and I have not had much dealing with iPad either but surely there must be a built in file manager with iPads.

So can't you just multiple copy paste to the SD Card then if required delete from the original location. You can do that with Android and the two systems sprang into life from the free Linux OS.

If you don't have a file manager on iPads which allows this then Apple are more unreasonable in there control of what you can and can't do than seems reasonable.
Old 11-11-17, 15:34
Passionate member

No, the whole point is I can't send it from iPad to my device at all! Obviously one can send whatever you want from iPad to wherever you want, but all I am asking is to send direct to my card.
Old 11-11-17, 17:47
Top contributor

It might not be possible unless with a 'device' that the iPad 'recognises' and vice-versa - like via a camera or a PC. Your current 'device' is obviously one-way only.
I suspect other 'card only readers' will be the same.
It is Apple Inc., after all.

https://www.apple.com/shop/question/...XKA799UKCHAJ2F

Last edited by Stewart40; 11-11-17 at 18:13.
Old 12-11-17, 16:00
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauldbum View Post
It cannot download pics from iPad onto a sd card, is there any gadget that can do this?
Sorry for the misunderstand but for what they charge I had assumed they would at least provide an SD Card slot but I see that they don't.

From what you say they even restrict the write to SD card facility as well via the adapter.

Have you considered uploading the pics to a compatible cloud service of one kind or another and grabbing the pics from there, .. just a thought.

As Apple prevent download of personal pics from the phone, I have to assume the iCloud service will also try to prevent you getting at them from there as well, but then maybe not.

If it were me I might try Google drive for iPad as it has a good chunk of free storage. I would think you should then be able to access the Google Cloud Drive with your browser and download to either your HDD drive or straight to the SD Card via a reader, assuming that your PC doesn't have an SD Card Slot built in that is.

At least Apple seem to retain standard jpeg image files photos so I suppose that's something to be thankful for.

Another option might be to search under 'jailbrake iPad for two way photo transfer' or some such similar search wording. The iPad will be capable of writing to SD Card but it will be Apple who have restricted it for some reason best known to Apple. I just tried the above search and these returns came up which looks interesting.

See Post number 4 down looks a possibility, and sounds like no jailbreak necessary probably needs a bit more research though to be sure.

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/ip...d-write.75421/

also interesting is

http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/ca...-storage.6006/

I've rooted a few early Androids to improve the early version OS but it isn't worthwhile or necessary with the new Android. Afraid I've no knowledge of rooting iPad though so can't advise further other than jail-braking will almost certainly void any warranty or Apple after sales assistance. Also getting it wrong may seriously and irreversibly stuff the piece of kit.

Trying to grab the pics via a cloud storage would be the safest way or maybe using the 'Maxell Airstash' mentioned in the first link.
Old 12-11-17, 16:20
Top contributor

Lightning to USB Flash Drive as an alternative or intermediate step ?

https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/mobil...storage/ixpand
Old 12-11-17, 16:28
Highly valued member

Nice find Stewart .

About time a supplier woke up to there being a ready market for a few iPad things which Apple don't cater for. Although I guess most would worry about the big A and its past protective legal actions.
Old 12-11-17, 17:14
Top contributor

I noticed one in my local Sainsbury's this afternoon. A bit pricey at 45 for 16 GB, but I don't have an iPad or iPhone.
Old 14-11-17, 13:52
Highly valued member

Just stumbled across this Sandisk. If not for this thread I probably wouldn't even have noticed it. Seems like an affordable option at 25 and a very reliable and well known quality brand, they say compatible with iOS8 upwards.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Con...2VAVRYE3SD8T0D

Crumbs only 14 squid on ebay for 32Gig I might have one myself for that. Slip it in top pocket and when traveling she can access media on her pad while I access what I want on my net book. Wonder how it gets it's power and how long it lasts. I'm off to have another look for the specs.
Old 14-11-17, 14:07
Highly valued member

Now I'm talking to myself again

Internal rechargeable battery, continuous use 4.5 hrs. allows transfer of photos in batches of 8 at a time with iOS devices.

Navigating to the device on a mobile devise would be easy enough for the likes of us but sounds like it would be more trouble than it worth to have it as a wireless access for my wife when traveling and that was my main attraction. Also silly of me to even consider that as a possibility as it can't have an in-flight mode otherwise it wouldn't work. So I'll give it a miss I think.