Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Notices

Old 11-02-18, 00:47
Passionate member

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Well it's easy enough to do as a self diagnosis - just undo the two screws and gently ease the faceplate away from the socket, bearing in mind wires are connected to it.
Yes I've had it off several times before for various reasons and the wires are so fine I din't want to bend them more than necessary.

@williba Unfortunately, Virgin is not a runner in my rural area.
Old 11-02-18, 10:07
Global Moderator

I just let it rest gently below the master socket, but if TT send out one of their engineers and the fault is found to be on your end then you can be charged for his visit, so it's prudent to do as many self diagnostics before they send one out.

I got my max speeds wired and wireless right from the get go - are you getting yours ?

My Downstream Attenuation is 6.7 although this can vary depending upon the electronics of different routers.

The greater resistance in those as well as the quality of wiring from the cabinet to you can increase that Attenuation and reduce your speeds.

When I was on ADSL and having poor speeds, it was found that a bad clip in the cabinet was to blame, so all may not be lost if that is checked out.

If you log into the router and check what the Downstream Attenuation is and divide that by 13.81 it will give you the approx. amount of cable in kms between you and the cabinet.

If you are getting what you should be getting when wired then I would suspect the poor wireless speeds are down to the HG633, although I have a Win 7 laptop that doesn't get as higher speeds as the two newer ones which I have running Win 10.

Of those two, one is Intel based and the other is AMD and I usually get better wireless speeds on the Intel one, even though they both have the same Realtek wireless adapters and using the same Win 7 wireless driver.

On the older Win 7 machine the wireless speeds were really poor that I took it into a repair shop and had them change the Realtek adapter chip for something else.

They stuck an Intel one in which improved the speed by ~7 or 8MBps.
Old 11-02-18, 15:31
Passionate member

You inspired me to have another go at the incoming sockets, with the following results:

Master Socket wireless 16.45 Mbps within 2m of the router
Master socket ethernet 16.86 Mbps

Test Socket wireless 22.58 Mbps within 2m of the router
Test Socket ethernet 22.81 Mbps

I tried with a 5 yr old W7 that my wife uses. Within 2m of the router it was within 0.02 Mbps of my 3 yr old Win 8.1 all round. With the W7 laptop in its normal place 18m away from the router, through 4 walls, the wireless speed was 15.84Mbps, so it lost about 1.6 Mbps though distance and obstructions. That sort of loss could be acceptable if I was getting the 29-38 in the same room as the router - or even the guaranteed 25 minimum.

I'm not sure who is responsible for the loss between the test socket and the master socket, but I don't think it should be me. Similarly, I should be getting a lot more at the test socket and that is surely up to TalkTalk and BT (or Openreach) but I can't tell how much is lost through the filter and router between the master socket and the ethernet or wireless output.

Both our laptops use Realtek wireless adaptors specified as 802.1b,g,n. I don't know if that would restrict the operating speed. Both have Intel CPU's.

I have not done the attenuation analysis yet, but may have a go tomorrow.

When I was on the wired connection, it was the first time I experienced a significantly brisker performance, so if I can get another 5 - 7 Mbps wireless I would be happy.
Old 11-02-18, 17:07
Global Moderator

As you don't have any phone extensions then there's nothing to stop you from continuing to stay plugged into the test socket.

Your wireless speed cannot exceed your wired speed.

I'm not sure if Openreach demarcation ends at the test socket, but I'd phone TT for clarification on that.

When you phone them and press 1 to confirm you are phoning from your line, you may be asked if you are phoning about your current problem - answering yes should get you straight to a tech where you can explain what you have found.

While I was getting the same wired speed on a HG633 it was only the wireless speed that suffered, but if you were promised 25 and you're not getting that, then I'd say you have cause for complaint.

How many wires do you have connected to the faceplate ?

On older installations you can have up to five but on newer master sockets you only have two.

If yours is the older version then I have an ADSL Filtered Faceplate I can send you.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

You don't need to use microfliters with one of those fitted.

You also don't need a punchdown tool to fit the wires - a small thin bladed screwdriver will suffice just as well to shove them into the jaws of the clips.
Old 11-02-18, 20:58
Passionate member

As you don't have any phone extensions then there's nothing to stop you from continuing to stay plugged into the test socket. True except it looks pretty messy with the faceplate hanging off.
I used to have extensions plugged into a multi-outlet plug, but that's all gone now I have a telephone base unit with wireless extensions. That's why I was thnking of switching the router to the 5MHz band as the phone will be on 2.4, but I'm not sure the laptop wireless adaptors can handle it as they are b,g,n, not ac.

Your wireless speed cannot exceed your wired speed. Yes it's always marginally faster wired than wireless. The big difference is where the filter is plugged in.

I'm not sure if Openreach demarcation ends at the test socket, but I'd phone TT for clarification on that. The box was already installed when I bought the bungalow as a new build in 1974 and I understand it is technically illegal to DIY change the faceplate, so I think Openreach or TT who have taken over the line must be responsible up to the Master Socket, but I will be talking to the Case Manager tomorrow so I will check. BT added an outside bell which is wired from the box via an on/off switch.

How many wires do you have connected to the faceplate ?
Hard to tell as they are so short but it looks like 3 or 4 plus 1 disconnected which I think is the red or orange ring wire. Certainly more than 2 as it's been there 40 years!

If yours is the older version then I have an ADSL Filtered Faceplate I can send you. Thanks for the offer. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I will ask if they have a speed tester that doesn't go through the router, so they can get a direct measure of the speed at the sockets.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-02-18, 23:11
Global Moderator

No - you can change the faceplate - it is only illegal to tamper with the wires that connect to the rear of the master socket.

When I had ADSL problems, I would leave it connected to the test socket for when TT sent out their engineer as that would show him directly what I was getting.

What do you mean about the difference where the microfilter is plugged in ?

The reason wired is faster than wireless is because you lose some because of Latency when using wireless - https://www.howtogeek.com/217463/wi-...ed-connection/

TT must have some means of determining the Fibre speed you should get as they were correct in telling me what I would get before I got it.

I complained about getting a wireless speed of just 20 - 22MBps when I was getting 37.5 wired.

I was fortunate that their local tech knew about the HG633 and swapped that for a HG635 he had, where my wireless speed jumped to 28ish.

Depending upon the time of day when I ran a speed test, I would get between 28 and 32 point something.

Cordless phones work around channel 1 but as long as your phone is more that 2ft away from the router, it shouldn't interfere with your wireless signal, but as you are getting much better speeds in the test socket then perhaps it is the faceplate.

I phoned up TT once and asked them for a IPlate but because modern master sockets have better screening, there was no need to continue having it fitted - I've also got one of those you can have as well which doesn't involve reconnecting any wires, but an ADSL Filtered Faceplate is a much better option as it cuts out the need to use microfilters.
Old 12-02-18, 00:54
Passionate member

What do you mean about the difference where the microfilter is plugged in ?
Just that I see very little difference between wired and wireless connection to my computer, whether the filter is plugged in to the master socket or into the test socket. The big differences are between wireless when the filter is plugged into the master (16.45) and wireless plugged into the test socket (22.58) or between ethernet from the master (16.86) and ethernet via the test socket (22.81). That tells me there is a big loss between the test socket and the master socket. So I think it is very important to know who is responsible for that link in the chain! We will see what the Case Manager says.

Of course, even if that is put right, the speed between the cabinet and the test socket is still 10% below the guaranteed minimum and 24% below the reasonable expectation

Old 12-02-18, 08:55
Global Moderator

Yes, I noticed you had very little difference as well.

From a wired speed of 37.6 my wireless can be as low as 28 point something and is usually between 30 and 32, so my drop is between about 5 and 9MBps and I'm within a couple of feet of my router.

I suppose really that I could run wired up but prefer the less clutter of running on wireless.

When I was on ADSL my wired and wireless speeds were very close together, but there's quite a drop since going onto Fibre.

Up until Oct. 2012 I had one of the older master sockets and had an ADSL Filtered Faceplate fitted.

My current master socket was fitted brand new by Openreach in 2013.
Old 12-02-18, 11:20
Passionate member

It's 11.20 and I'm waiting for the Case Manager's call "between 8 and 12 on Monday"
Old 12-02-18, 14:21
Global Moderator

Well it's about 2.20pm now - did you get the phone call or have you had to phone them - or have they left you with no connection to give us an update ?