Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Old 25-10-17, 19:30
Enthusiastic contributor

Default VLC on Ubuntu

I hope this is the right place. I don't see any other Linux-related posts.

Ubuntu 12.04.

With something like 11 million members, the Ubuntu forum is too big. The people with the answers are too busy to get involved in detailed discussions.

I've heard good things about this place, so thought I'd give it a try.

First the disclaimer. I'm not interested in violating anyone's copyright, and I'm only using the BBC as one example among many of the kind of thing I want to achieve.

Breaking news stories develop over time as more facts become known. A good example is September 11th 2001, where initial reports were that a light aircraft had crashed into the World Trade Centre. We now know it was much more serious than that, but if a similar story happened now, I'd like to capture (download) those early reports as items of historical interest.

How though? How does one go about capturing a short segment from an endless video stream as found at the BBC News 24 website when computers insist on a beginning and an end?

I've seen extracts on Youtube, so I know it's possible, but can anyone here explain how I go about it? I'm still a beginner in some respects, so please be patient with me.

Somebody on the Ubuntu forum suggested VLC, but all I got from that was an infinite sequence of ever-diminishing traffic cones.

Btw, don't be put off by my name. My parents had a weird sense of humour.
Old 26-10-17, 04:48
Highly valued member

Default Re: VLC on Ubuntu

Welcome to WU forum. I am sure that someone on the forum will be able to help you on this subject. Just note that people answer or post at all times of the day from early morning to late into the night. If you post early you may find that it has dropped off the end of the screen or has been "thinned" at the week-end by the system. If you don't see your post, go to the "Forum Heading" you started with and you will find your original post and answers there.
Regarding your query, sorry, I am not into recording films, etc, but hang in there, I,m sure someone will know. There is a good range of knowledge within our forum.
You can always buy a copy of WU where you will also find sections where you can ask techie questions of alleged experts, that might need a little more in depth advice.

fosseway
Old 26-10-17, 07:40
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for that, fossewayfella. There's no rush. I don't have anything in mind at present. I'd just like to know how it's done so I'll be ready if I ever need it.
Old 07-11-17, 19:59
Enthusiastic contributor

Anyone? A friend told me there was quite a strong Linux community here, but it seems I'm the only one.

The Ubuntu forum's no good because the people who know are too busy to spend time giving detailed answers, so can anyone point me in the direction of another forum where I'll have a better chance of learning how to use VLC.

Thanks.

I won't be abandoning this place yet though. The people seem friendly and knowledgeable. It's just this one issue I'm stuck on.
Old 07-11-17, 20:38
Top contributor

I would have thought the best place for VLC support would be at VLC itself.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

https://www.videolan.org/support/faq.html

& in particular >

https://forum.videolan.org/viewforum...59545312c7f165
Old 08-11-17, 11:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for that, Stewart40. I haven't found anything yet on the VLC site, so I've registered with the forum and am waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting for the e-mail link to complete the process.

If they can't help me, nobody can, so I think we can call this thread solved. Is there something I need to do to mark it as such?
Old 08-11-17, 19:14
Enthusiastic contributor

Just an update. I'm still waiting for that e-mail from the VLC forum. I've also contacted the admin. Still nothing.

Perhaps I'll hear from them, but I won't hold my breath. I could never get their software to work in the past, so perhaps it's time to give up on VLC and look for something more user-friendly.

I'm not impressed by VLC or the organisation behind it. Their "help" files couldn't be less helpful, the emphasis being on video playback rather than capture, which isn't even mentioned anywhere I've seen, and if I can't even join their forum or find any tutorials, there's not much point wasting any more time on the thing.

Thanks for trying, Stewart40 and Fosse Way Fella, but I think it's time to give up on this one.
Old 09-11-17, 08:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Hiya Joe-King
There are to my knowledge quite a few Linux users who use this forum. I for one use nothing but the Linux OS. Just be patient and i'm sure someone will come along and be able to help you.
Old 09-11-17, 11:13
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks humptan. I think it's time to uninstall VLC though. It seems to be more of a video player than a capture device, despite what I was told on the Ubuntu forum, and I've still heard nothing from the VLC forum, which tells me they're even less interested in it than I now am.

When I joined the Web User forum, the verification e-mail arrived almost immediately. It's been about 24 hours now since I tried to register with the VLC forum, plus I sent a message later in the day to the administrators, so it seems to me that their forum is abandoned.

I still want to find a way to capture short segments of an endless video stream, such as the one at (for example) BBC News 24, but it isn't going to be VLC.

There's no urgency. I just want to know how it's done, so I'll wait and hope someone can suggest something that actually works.

Note to that person, whoever it turns out to be. I use the terminal sometimes, but I'm never entirely comfortable with it, so I prefer GUI to the command line.
Old 11-11-17, 09:31
Enthusiastic contributor

Update. Still nothing from the VLC forum, so I can't complete my registration, and there's no reply to my attempt to contact them, so I think it's safe to assume their forum is dead.

If anyone knows of a Linux-compatible programme that actually works, I'll be grateful to hear about it, and I'll also be doing some Googling, but I haven't had much luck with that so far.

What I'm looking for is something that can capture a short segment of an endless stream, such as the one at BBC News 24. I know it can be done because I've seen similar extracts on Youtube, but VLC is just a waste of time.

Busy few days coming up, so I probably won't be able to get back here much before Wednesday, so don't worry if I don't reply to any messages before then.