Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 14-01-18, 10:08
Established member

Default windows update

i was having trouble with my PC,very slow not responding etc so i first tried sfc /scannow which located system errors but could not fix,so ran the Restore health command and that fails at 86% saying could not find file. so also tried in safe mode that ieither did not work or failed as well .so i thought i will bite the bullet and do a clean install. which also failed, so i restored to a system image about 4 months old and that was succesful. i then tried a clean install from there(which i believe says it will install the latest updated version of windows)however updates seem to be hanging it says downloading but nothing happens,update history shows nothing,if i click uninstall updates it shows one for yesterday and 5 for last November. i checked winver and that is 1607 not 1709 as it should be.how can i get windows update to work.
hope i explained all i done .
Old 14-01-18, 10:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: windows update

If I were you I would download the latest version from Microsoft (using latest Media Creation Tool) and do a complete re-install including a complete reformat. I appreciate this may be a long process but it is often quicker than messing around the edges and getting nowhere.
Old 14-01-18, 10:26
Established member

it now seems to have woken up and appears to be updating to the latest version,as i said i did use a media creation tool (not sure if it was the latest)and thought i was getting the latest version,will let it run and see what happens, where would i get the latest version?
Old 14-01-18, 10:32
Global Moderator

I would suggest a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

You could opt to do a repair install of 1607 or 1709.

Using 1709 install media will update you but you wouldn't know if that had resolved your update problems.

If you opt for the 1607 repair install, when done you can try the Update now button from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

As well as creating 1709 install media from there, you can download the ISO for 1607 from http://windowsiso.net/ as well as the one for 1709.

Hover over Win 10 ISO then over which you want to use and select Standard.

From there you would select 32 or 64 bit for your system.

Select Save then download Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool. http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Click on Run for the download then on Browse and select probably your Downloads folder - click on the Windows ISO and then on Open.

Insert the media you wish to use - select USB device if using that and follow the prompts.

The repair install is done from within Windows.

Open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

If using a DVD this should start the process but if using an USB, that will open to its files where you would double click on setup.exe Application.

This takes about 3˝hrs on my Win 10 laptops and is what I do if I feel they aren't performing as they should.

It may default any apps that you have changed to your preferences which you can check on completion.

EDIT - Just seen your last post - that sounds good, but make a note of my post should you need it in future regarding a repair install.
Old 14-01-18, 12:06
Enthusiastic contributor

Glad it seems to sorting out. Let us know how it goes.

Cantrel has given you where to download the latest Media Creation Tool. While the computer is working I would suggest creating it now in case you find the same problem repeating.
Old 14-01-18, 12:15
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I would suggest a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

You could opt to do a repair install of 1607 or 1709.

Using 1709 install media will update you but you wouldn't know if that had resolved your update problems.

If you opt for the 1607 repair install, when done you can try the Update now button from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

As well as creating 1709 install media from there, you can download the ISO for 1607 from http://windowsiso.net/ as well as the one for 1709.

Hover over Win 10 ISO then over which you want to use and select Standard.

From there you would select 32 or 64 bit for your system.

Select Save then download Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool. http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Click on Run for the download then on Browse and select probably your Downloads folder - click on the Windows ISO and then on Open.

Insert the media you wish to use - select USB device if using that and follow the prompts.

The repair install is done from within Windows.

Open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

If using a DVD this should start the process but if using an USB, that will open to its files where you would double click on setup.exe Application.

This takes about 3˝hrs on my Win 10 laptops and is what I do if I feel they aren't performing as they should.

It may default any apps that you have changed to your preferences which you can check on completion.

EDIT - Just seen your last post - that sounds good, but make a note of my post should you need it in future regarding a repair install.
thanks for that, i noticed that the ISO is not on a Microsoft site, i assume that is still ok?
Old 14-01-18, 12:19
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrwood View Post
Glad it seems to sorting out. Let us know how it goes.

Cantrel has given you where to download the latest Media Creation Tool. While the computer is working I would suggest creating it now in case you find the same problem repeating.
yes it just seemed to have been hanging so long,had tried leaving it all evening last night,and an hour or so this morning,then a windows update assistant window pops up saying it is preparing to install latest version, still confused as to why it says i have updates from November, and why it did not install the latest version.?
Old 14-01-18, 13:10
Enthusiastic contributor

The latest version that Media Creator downloads is 1709 I believe. ie Fall Creators Update from Sept 2017 issued in Oct 2017. After that it downloads all the subsequent updates since and it can take a long, long time as they include cumulative updates and the infamous malicious Software Removal Tool.
Old 14-01-18, 14:18
Global Moderator

You can create the latest 1709 install media from this MS site, but read the instructions first as the procedure differs for using a DVD or USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
Old 15-01-18, 11:29
Established member

sorry but i am getting confused as to what i need to do to perform a clean install,i have downloaded the ISO file from Cantrels link, and have a 16Gb usb stick available, if someone could provide step by step instructions as to what i need to do it would be much appreciated,do i still need to download microsoft tool.