Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Old 22-12-17, 00:39
Top contributor

Default Ubuntu 17.10 PULLED: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver blamed

This report comes from 'The Register':

Ubuntu 17.10 PULLED: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver blamed • The Register
Quote:
Free software as in thank God I'm not paying for this

Canonical has halted downloads of Ubuntu Linux 17.10, aka Artful Aardvark, from its website after punters complained installing the open-source OS on laptops knackered the machines.

Specifically, the desktop flavor of Artful Aardvark, released in October, has been temporarily pulled – the server builds and other editions remain available. A corrected version of 17.10 for desktops is due to be released soon.
Old 22-12-17, 19:33
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Ubuntu 17.10 PULLED: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver blamed

Thanks for the warning Madeline.

They took their time finding it. I wonder how many machines were damaged.

They say it's worth waiting a while for any bugs to be ironed out, rather than always going for the latest release, and this story demonstrates that pretty well.

You seem to know about Linux, but for those who don't, my understanding is that the xx.10 (October) release is primarily a "tweaked" version of the xx.04 (April) issue.

The April one has five years' support, and the October one only two years, so I'd always go for the xx.04 one.

I'm currently using an out-of-date version, 12.04 (2012, April), but I'm playing with the idea of installing 16.04. I think I'll avoid the 2017 issues.

Mainly I'm reluctant to lose the Gnome desktop, but it doesn't work very well with 16.04, so I'll have to use (the default) Unity, with it's icons down the edge of the screen. It's not really a problem though, just that I dislike change.
Old 22-12-17, 22:15
Top contributor

Default Re: Ubuntu 17.10 PULLED: Linux OS knackers laptop BIOSes, Intel kernel driver blamed

Quote:
You seem to know about Linux….
Only a little bit. I’ve used the same version of Ubuntu that you currently have, except that ours is the 32-bit version, on our old XP PC. I can go online with Ubuntu on that PC, but I don't with XP any more. I think I’ve forgotten a lot of what I learnt about using Ubuntu unfortunately - I must try to get up to speed with it again eventually, or try a different distro which will work well on an elderly computer and which my elderly brain can cope with!
Old 25-12-17, 00:10
Top contributor

The above article has been updated as follows:
Quote:
Updated to add

A spokesperson for Intel has been in touch to say the chipmaker is aware of the BIOS cockup triggered by installing Ubuntu Linux 17.10. “We’re actively working with Ubuntu to ensure the issue is corrected,” she said. “This is a unique issue based on non-Intel recommended changes made to the BIOS configurations by Ubuntu.”
So it’s Ubuntu’s fault then….!