Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Old 16-11-17, 14:15
Established member

Angry Updating Flash in Ubuntu 12.04

This one's been driving me round the twist for months, and my head hurts from continually banging it against that brick wall.

Firefox keeps nagging me about Flash being out-of-date, unreliable, vulnerable and I have to keep clicking on "Allow" because Flash is supposedly being phased out, but it seems website owners haven't been told about it because they're all still using it.

I go into "Add-Ons", where I'm nagged to update flash, but when I click on the "Update Now" link, I find myself on the Adobe download page. I download the tar.gz file, but there's no install or update file, just a "Readme" text file that seems to contradict itself.

The Readme file tells me to extract the tar.gz (which I've already done or I wouldn't be reading it), copy the files to an unspecified location, then extract the files (again!) and copy one of them to a folder that doesn't exist, then enter some terminal commands that just result in an error message, something about a "child" not found or something, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I've tried Googling, but that just results in more gibberish, mainly terminal commands that result in more error messages.

I must have copied dozens of files to locations where they're not doing anything, just clogging my OS with ballast.

Can anyone just give me a straightforward method of getting the extracted files to where they're needed?

Please?
Old 16-11-17, 14:23
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Updating Flash in Ubuntu 12.04

I'm afraid this is not going to help you but I keep banging on about how difficult it is to install things in Linux (any flavour). The Linux officiandos keep saying no it's easy but nobody comes up with an english explanation that I can understand. Every explanation is peppered with linux jargon and gobble de gook. I think they do it quite deliberately to keep Linux sectrets to themselves.
Old 16-11-17, 14:40
Global Moderator

Did you ever come across this article in your Google travels ?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/11/h...e-flash-player
Old 16-11-17, 18:24
Established member

Pete.i - I agree with you. The terminal is like a much more powerful version of DOS, useful if you know what you're doing, but potentially disastrous if you make a mistake. I prefer the GUI wherever possible, but the Linux "experts" often insist that even complete beginners use terminal commands for even the simplest of things.

I use the terminal sometimes, but only for things I understand.

----------------------------------------------

Cantrel - No, sorry. That's one of about a million pages I've already tried and rejected.

For a start, the messages at the top of the page seem to be saying it's out of date.

In the software centre, there's only one entry for Flash, not the two shown in one of the graphics.

In a couple of places people have copied and pasted from the Readme file I've already mentioned. Here's a part of that file.

Installing using the plugin tar.gz:
o Unpack the plugin tar.gz and copy the files to the appropriate location.
o Save the plugin tar.gz locally and note the location the file was saved to.
o Launch terminal and change directories to the location the file was saved to.
o Unpack the tar.gz file. Once unpacked you will see the following:
+ libflashplayer.so
+ /usr
o Identify the location of the browser plugins directory, based on your Linux distribution and Firefox

Unpack the tar.gz and copy to "the appropriate location" - What's that?

Save
the tar.gz - If I hadn't already saved it, I wouldn't be able to unpack it.

Next line, no problem. It's the same as it was in DOS.

Unpack the tar.gz - Again? I've already done that or I wouldn't be reading the text file.

Identify the location of my browser's plugins directory, and copy libflashplayer.so into it.

A few clues would help, but it seems they're deliberately making it more difficult than it needs to be.

I've installed from tar.gz files a few times, but it's never been like this.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the software centre, but nothing changes, and it says on the page you linked to that Linux no longer supports flash, so I suppose I was just reinstalling the same older version.

Even right clicking on a Youtube video doesn't give the menu as shown. Certainly it doesn't show which version of Flash I'm using.

I've got the tar.gz file (64 bit). I've saved it. I've unpacked it. All I want now is to find someone who can take me through the process of using it to update my existing version of Flash.

I wouldn't have thought that would be too much to ask, but it seems Adobe doesn't agree, and neither do any of the "help" pages I've found on-line.

One other, fairly minor point. On that page it says Flash comes pre-installed with the Chromium browser. It doesn't. I've only recently installed Chromium for use on sites (BT primarily) where Firefox blocks legitimate content, and Flash isn't an option.
Old 16-11-17, 21:55
Global Moderator

Chrome has FP by default but not Chromium.

For Chromium you would need the plug-in.