Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Networking and Wi-Fi

Old 10-08-17, 13:56

Default WiFi

Since changing from BT to Sky,the modem supplied by sky will not allow me to use my Vista laptop.The WiFi will not connect,I have googled the fault and it seems I'm not the only person with this problem.I have tried the things suggested but they don't work for me..Please I hope someone can help me.
Old 10-08-17, 14:02
Global Moderator

Default Re: WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman1 View Post
Since changing from BT to Sky,the modem supplied by sky will not allow me to use my Vista laptop.The WiFi will not connect,I have googled the fault and it seems I'm not the only person with this problem.I have tried the things suggested but they don't work for me..Please I hope someone can help me.
It's possible there could be a compatibility problem between the wireless adapter in the computer and the modem.

I've seen this with a TP-Link adapter and a make of router that I cant remember the name of.

What is the make and model of your wireless adapter ?
Old 11-08-17, 13:09

The adaptor is an Atheros AR5007EG.It is shown as IPv4 connectivity local and IPv6 limited access.Tried turning Sky modem off and trying to use repair connection,but still not working.The only solution I can think is to connect an old modem to the Sky modem,that would probably work.The connection does work with cable but not really practical.Thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 11-08-17, 18:37
Global Moderator

It's possible that a driver update could sort it but it's quite an old adapter and at one time the only web site you could get them was from a Czech website.

Not sure if your computer support site if OEM build would have any updated drivers as I would think it would no longer be supported - but check.

Go into Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices and first look for any yellow alerts.

If none, expand Network adapters and right click on your wireless adapter and select Update Driver Software.

Use the default Search online option.

If it does have a yellow alert then when you right click on it, select Uninstall but do not check the box to include software.

You can then either click on Action/Scan for hardware changes or close Device Manager and reboot.

If still no go, log into the Hub and disable the wireless security - reboot the router and whether it connects or not, go back into the Hub and re-enable it.

If it connects with it disabled then it will still connect when has been re-enabled.

In the wireless security settings it may be set to just AES - check to see if there's an option to include TKIP as older devices may be more suited to that.