Go Back   Web User Forums > All Other Technical Help Topics > All other topics

Notices

Old 25-08-18, 10:24
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Facebook

When I'm scrolling down my news feed on Facebook, on my pc, I keep getting things pop up, like subliminal messages, but only for a second. Most of them are videos, and I recognize some, as being ones I have clicked on. At first I thought it was because my cursor was hovering over a link, as I scrolled down, so I moved the cursor away from any links, and it still happens. The news feed seems to jump. Just looking at it now, it seems to be the ads which pop up on the right that seem to be causing this. Is there anything I can do?
Old 25-08-18, 10:36
Global Moderator

Default Re: Facebook

When I used Facebook on my laptop, I found my ad blocker - adblockplus _ stopped ads on the right hand side, as well as ads on YT and other websites Do you have one installed?
Old 25-08-18, 10:45
Enthusiastic contributor

Yeah, I have it installed, and it's saying it's blocking ads. I might have to do a screen capture, so I can show what's happening.
Old 25-08-18, 11:03
Enthusiastic contributor

You can see from the two pictures attatched what's happening. All sensitive data like friends names, are hidden. This is when I scroll down with the mouse wheel. The top one's before and the bottom a second after.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (8.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg A second after.jpg (15.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 25-08-18, 13:23
Global Moderator

I'm without a laptop at present so can't test it. However, it looks like you're scrolling down on the screen and not via the side bar. So maybe your mouse pointer is opening up the links, or does the same happen if scrolling up/down using the side bar?
Old 25-08-18, 16:54
Enthusiastic contributor

I get the same thing on all three of my computers when I use Facebook which I do try to avoid. I think it's FB just being FB. I do have adblock plus on all my machines but these "ads" still pop up momentarily. I haven't found a way to stop them yet but I am working on it. I think it's probably Adblock plus doing what it should do but not very quickly.
Old 25-08-18, 19:09
Top contributor

I had the same thing happen to us the other day for about 48 hours Changed my Ad blocker (Adblock+) for another ,Playtesting >And I've kept it.
It allegedly Wiped out my contact list...But Now I have restored it without doing any alteration on the New Adblock program (which is 100%) The New App is called: Ad Killer Plus (listed on the Chrome App store)

To restore actually took us a long while to discover .I checked out Facebook's Tech Support pages , FAQ's and It did not work
The Solution once you know where to look will take about 5 seconds
Step #1 Open your Facebook Page and Find the "Settings" Link >Logical Place would be the Top Toolbar on the Right side "downward pointing triangle"
Answer Yes, that Settings Link opens up your General Account setup worth Studying if you wish to change something
Note this Does NOT have anything about Missing Sidebar information Which is what My issue was regarding
Step #2 Now Look down to the Bottom Right hand Corner of the Page and You'll see a globe Icon then a Search box then 3 other Icons and of those 3 There is A Settings "Options" Cog Icon OK? It is Not Inactive despite looking "Greyed out"
Step #3 The Menu on this "greyed"(Options) Settings Menu only needed 1 item ticking and that was at the very top of the Menu ."Chat Sounds" and the rest, leave unticked.OK?
Has this restored the Contact list? If NO then Click on the Create New Group icon in this group. All I did here was to "Fake a Move" which was To view the Create a new group icon and your Contact names will display in this Box >Next, Just close the window Using either the 'X' or "Cancel " button.
Old 25-08-18, 20:46
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1955 View Post
When I'm scrolling down my news feed on Facebook, on my pc, I keep getting things pop up, like subliminal messages, but only for a second. Most of them are videos, and I recognize some, as being ones I have clicked on. At first I thought it was because my cursor was hovering over a link, as I scrolled down, so I moved the cursor away from any links, and it still happens. The news feed seems to jump. Just looking at it now, it seems to be the ads which pop up on the right that seem to be causing this. Is there anything I can do?

I get the same thing here, I find the jumping annoying, at first I thought my GPU was playing up, the screen seems to flicker or judder when on FB.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys