Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 18-02-18, 19:59
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

Update....I have renewed my BT package, paid line rental upfront for 12 months and they gave me my 8 line rental for a further 18 months.

Not without a bit of bother and confusion though....suffice to say having seriously considered what Cantrel said and fully prepared to go with the switch if I hadn't been happy, when it comes up for renewal I will probably make the change.

I thought I was going to have to change my modem, in fact they sent me a new one and were going to charge...so if I am gonna change the modem I might as well take the cheaper deal. (the new modem was sent back to BT at no cost or charge)

Time will tell.

Footnote: I was interested to see a letter in a recent issue of WU from someone who also got a new modem/hub from BT and they charged him similarly to what they were going to charge me. Maybe it isn't that compulsory after all....
Old 18-02-18, 22:56
Global Moderator

When you renew your contract with TT you can request a new router, but don't know if they now charge for it - it used to be free.

How much do BT charge for sending out a new router ?
Old 19-02-18, 09:57
Enthusiastic contributor

TT sent mine free automatically and with no setup charge. "Normally" they charge 60 but it depends on the offer at the time. They have to charge sometimes - if they didn't they could not call it a free offer.

If you were going to BT Fibre, you would get a new router as the Home Hubs 2- 4 don't cope well with it, but renewing standard BB you should get a Home Hub 4 if you have not got one already. If you get a new router, there's a setup charge of zero to 50 depending on the offer and the speed you are taking (up to 42 , 76 or 100 Mbps)

ps this post hung for about 15 secs.
Old 19-02-18, 12:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
When you renew your contract with TT you can request a new router, but don't know if they now charge for it - it used to be free.

How much do BT charge for sending out a new router ?
I think it was 49 for the router and 10 quid delivery. It was because they initially said I had to take a new router if I wanted to keep my 8 deal....then I got a letter saying to return the router as it was cancelled. So I phoned them and they said I could keep the one I had and they would send me a jiffy bag to post the new one back and there would be no charge. Which there wasn't. I don't really know why I didn't tell them to stuff it when they said I had to have a new router initally, but I just didn't because I thought well why not the one I have is 4-5 years old and a new one would be quicker. They were also going to give me a bigger cap.

I'm pleased enough now I haven't had to change anything, particularly my settings on my squeezebox (hifi streamer device) and kept my 8 deal.
Old 19-02-18, 12:39
Enthusiastic contributor

and reading the post from MikeC, that post didn't hang and it seems to have stopped hanging altogether (for me anyway)