Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 23-05-18, 17:51
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: ccleaner 5.42

Just downloaded it from the Piriform web site and installed without any problem.
Old 23-05-18, 21:39
Top contributor

Quote:
Microsoft pop-up informed me it was potentially unsafe. Norton didnít find anything wrong, so I chose run anyway. But nothing happens!
Oddly enough, recently Norton has taken against the downloaded file for me, but is perfectly happy if I download from FileHippo! More info here:

CCleaner v5.43.6520 - 23/05/2018 - Web User Forums
Old 24-05-18, 01:15
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefy View Post
i visited the unchecky site as posted earlier in this topic,and downloaded the set up file,as i said virus total flagged it up,so i also tried a download from file hippo and that was the same,i then went to open a website that sits on the right hand end of my bookmark toolbar and it was not there, it was on the overflow,after checking i found a bookmark for unchecky about halfway along the toolbar,then scanned registry with ccleaner and it found six items all belonging to unchecky. so i am yet to be convinced this is a good program.i have messaged there support and had no reply.
I missed this post earlier, but I find what happens with you odd. Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Unchecky setup file from FileHippo. It was scanned with all 5 of the programs I mentioned before in post #14 and none of them found anything. I'm not keeping that file because I already had one, the download from FileHippo was an experiment to see if any malware would be found and it wasn't.

As for registry entries, I had a look in the registry and unsurprisingly, I have entries there for Unchecky too, undoubtedly due to the program being installed.

I've used this program for nearly 5 years now and it's never caused me any trouble. If you're not happy about it, then don't use it!
Old 24-05-18, 07:26
Highly valued member

I agree. I don't use CCleaner now since it messed up my computer after being bought up by (Avast?), and I manage perfectly with "Wise Cleaner 365", which is an American product, and is more efficient than CC, in my opinion, as I have used both CC and Wise 365 together, in the past, for general cleaning on a monthly basis (but not the Registry).

Give 365 a try, you can always get rid if you don't like it. There are various "snake oil" parts of 365, but all are clearly marked up and it has an excellent "Restore points" section, plus a tool box of stuff which you might find useful if you like that sort of thing. I'm not one for test and trial so cannot say if they work or not. You may find your computer OS will do the same job automatically anyway, like de-fragging in Win 10, etc.

"Unchecky", I have also had for a long time, and wouldn't be without it.I am usually ultra careful when downloading but the crafty b's get more crafty trying to hide or discombobulate you with unwanted PUP's, and "Unchecky" has saved me. A great little tool for your box.

fosseway
Old 24-05-18, 10:25
Established member

5.43 also flagged by vtzilla,again with the toolbar,but scanned MB ,avast,and windows defender all say it was safe,though the installer still tried to install avast free even though i have it?
Old 24-05-18, 11:44
Global Moderator

It won't know you already have Avast.

When recently updating Adobe Shockwave, it offered me Norton Security which I already have.
Old 24-05-18, 19:52
Top contributor

If you don't want to use Unchecky beefy, just make sure that when you run CCleaner's installer you click 'Customize' before going any further, that will give you the opportunity to untick any 'optional extras' which are on offer. In fact, you should always use 'Custom Install' or equivalent when installing anything. If you want to try Wise Care 365 as suggested by fosseway, you can get more info and download it here:

Wise Care 365 - Stabilize, Secure and Speed Up Your Windows PC with One Click!

If it makes you happier, this is a recent scan result from VTzilla:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/14...baed/analysis/

It was found to be a clean site by all scanners, although there are 3 votes against it claiming it to be malicious.

I wouldn't download the setup file from the WiseCleaner site as it would come from Download.com on the Cnet site which I always avoid, so I got it from FileHippo. This is the result of a VirusTotal scan of the setup file:

Antivirus scan for a98facc6a481237a452a366d9b331129f71491c7365a26409b 2f209ef91b9cdd at 2018-05-24 11:01:45 UTC - VirusTotal
Old 25-05-18, 08:01
Enthusiastic contributor

Had problems trying to update CCleaner on both desktop and laptop in the past few days - on the laptop uninstalled it and tried to download from Piriform but various error messages appeared such as "unable to read various dll files".
Tried this morning when CCleaner advised latest update and managed to get it on both computers.
Old 25-05-18, 21:17
Top contributor

Quote:
Tried this morning when CCleaner advised latest update and managed to get it on both computers.
There was another update today to v5.43.6522. It's only 2 days since the last update which was to v5.43.6520, so everyone should make sure that they've got the right one!
Old 26-05-18, 05:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Thumbs up Re: ccleaner 5.42

Yes! Got that last night as I was shutting down my computer and running CCleaner!