Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kodi...

Old 14-09-17, 22:08
Familiar face

Default Recording a programme from On Demand TV

Hi

I wish to watch a programme which is on All 4 (Channel 4 on demand) for 30 days - but the family member I want to watch it with isn't here until the end of October.

Is there anything I can do to 'save' this programme?
Old 14-09-17, 22:41
Passionate member

Default Re: Recording a programme from On Demand TV

Assuming you are watching on a Windows PC you could use a screen recorder but bear in mind that some of the free ones have a limit timewise on anything that you record. Size of the recording may also be a factor if the program is a long one.
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/win-scr...ing-softwares/
Google for PC screen recorder for others.
Old 15-09-17, 09:16
Familiar face

Thank you so much for a quick and helpful reply.
Now I am wondering just how big the programme I will record is - about 45 minutes in length.
I'll do a trial.

Thanks again.
Old 15-09-17, 10:31
Enthusiastic contributor

It could be gigabytes if its HD or 4K. Of course copying the program is a breach of the terms and conditions of the provider and hence illegal.
Old 15-09-17, 15:44
Passionate member

Good point Calimanco!
Old 19-09-17, 17:43
Familiar face

I would try using Torch browser http://torchbrowser.com/ to download it. I haven't tried it with on demand TV but it works on YouTube and audio files so probably would work for this.
Old 07-12-17, 14:38
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuser1 View Post
I would try using Torch browser http://torchbrowser.com/ to download it. I haven't tried it with on demand TV but it works on YouTube and audio files so probably would work for this.
I doubt a youtube downloader would record a TV steam but perhaps it's something new.

If you do go for a screen recorder make sure its one which records sound as well as screen motion.

Re. The HD transmission thing, whatever the transmission is in should not effect the file size of the screen recorders recording. The SR will record in its own format which will usually be WMV, MP4,WEBM, or Mkv. depending on which you use.

Try Icecream screen recorder it will produce a comparatively small file size with good picture and sound quality. BUT TAKE NOTE. The new free versions only allow 10 minutes of recording. If you go to Filehippo (it's a safe download source) they have the old free versions available on archive history.

https://filehippo.com/download_icecr...order/history/

Not sure at which version the time limit was introduced but I would guess that if you get around version 4.8 (ish) you should be on the right side. If not you will have to uninstall and go back further.

The only drawback to this suggestion is that the recording from ICR will be Mkv video which won't play on some video players. It is however very suited to VLC player which most people on this forum seem to use as their default player anyway.

Plus Mkv video convert to MP4 with no noticeable loss of quality and then it will play on just about anything even if written to DVD.