Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 08-12-17, 12:20
Enthusiastic contributor

Default TalkTalk

Have been experiencing an on-off Internet connection for sometime now and despite repeated requests absolutely nothing has been done to remedy the situation. Can't wait for 2019 when ISP's will have to refund their users for poor service. Can't see the likes of TalkTalk still in business if they continue as they are.
Old 08-12-17, 15:23
Global Moderator

Default Re: TalkTalk

I've been with TT since I went online in 2010 and for the most part it has been trouble free.

In the early days I had some connectivity and low speed problems and a dispute when they tried to charge me for a local tech visit when it wasn't my side of things that was at fault.

Occasionally when I checked the stats on my connection when on ADSL I would see there had been a disconnection overnight as well as very low SNR Margins late on.

I dumped their supplied router and bought a Billion BiPac 7800N which because of its chipset was much better at holding a connection with a highish Downstream Attenuation.

Their routers these days are much better quality and I've since upgraded to their 38Mbps VDSL package.

If your disconnects occur when wired in the test socket then there is definitely something wrong with the line, but if it's wireless then I suggest you try logging into the router and changing channels.

inSSIDer3 is a decent free program for determining the best channel and your disconnects could be as a result of the router's channel setting being set to Auto.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Click on Networks when the right pane populates.

Last edited by Cantrel; 08-12-17 at 16:16.
Old 08-12-17, 16:02
Highly valued member

My past experience with TT tells me you should get rid of them asap.
Old 08-12-17, 18:30
Enthusiastic contributor

Like i stated in my first post, in 2019 ISP's will have to refund user's for poor service. But once again Ofcom has let down user's by not stopping isp's from passing on the cost of refunds to their user's.

I feel that successive governments has really let the Internet user's down in this country and letting isp's get away with poor service and increased fees for a service that they fail to supply on a regular basis.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply both.

What happened to the bad isp and internet forum?
Old 08-12-17, 21:24
Global Moderator

My experience is when TT is good - it's good but when it isn't, it can be lousy, but other ISPs can be just the same.

The aim is to get it fixed.

Do you get disconnects when wired to the master socket ?

Have you tried switching the router off for about 30mins with all cables disconnected ?

This will give you another external IP address when switched back on which can sometimes resolve connectivity problems.

Give us some info so we can try and determine if the problem is on your end ?

I assume you are on ADSL with the router plugged into the master socket ?

If so, log into the router and let us know the stats such as the Downstream Attenuation and the SNR Margin.
Old 20-12-17, 00:00
Highly valued member

I'll second Cantrel on Talk Talk. I've been with them years. Over those years I've have had some Tech issues but they were sorted dam quick and very efficiently with no cost to me.

All I could add to Cantrel's advise is that if the drop outs have started after a previous period of there not being a problem, obviously something has changed somewhere. It could be external, at this time of year a flooded below ground junction has to be thought about or some other such detrimental change to the line. Although ....

How old is your router, they can go faulty of course, plus TT changed my old router because of drop outs brought about by a change in their servers which rendered my router out of date and incompatible.

Noise on the line will also cause drop outs, either in your home or externally. Running a router from DIY extension leads will often cause line noise and drop outs. Also a faulty broadband filter somewhere in the home will cause drop outs. Or a new piece of phone equipment installed without a filter.

From what I've read you don't say if you are connecting to the router by lead or Wifi, if by Wifi are you sure that it is the internet connection dropping and not just your computer dropping its connection to the router which is of course a separate issue.

Having said all that my experience of TT is that it's best to first read their trouble shooting advise on the web site and check it all out as best you can. Write down each thing you try and the results you get.

Then phone them for help. Let them do their thing and tell them what you have already checked, just push a little and you will be put through to a technician, they will then do one of two thing or maybe even both.

They will send you their latest router or/and a technician to positively identify where the problem is.

Depending on what you tell them it will be either a TT engineer to check out your internal set up or a BT Engineer to check the outside line.

Best way to make sure that the problem is external is to connect your router directly to the master socket if the drop outs continue TT will send a BT Eng. to check out the line to your home. They've always been good as gold with me.