Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Music & Audio

Old 26-10-17, 12:20
Top contributor

Default Re: cd in laptop drive no longer recognised

It certainly suggests a driver/controller problem.

It was mentioned before, but did you try to update the drivers in Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. *

While there, Properties > Events - anything of note ?

I presume an attempt to 'initialise' gives an error message.

* Note the full name of the 'controller' - a Google search might be useful.
Old 30-10-17, 09:47
Established member

Yes I have a system restore point of 25th October. However I find that restore dates suddenly disappear and if that happens I will not, it seems, be able to do one if I need to as both the options suggested-the other being dealing with the Registry- might need this as a backup!
Old 30-10-17, 10:16
Global Moderator

Download the free version of this Windows Repair program - it's quite safe and MS techs have been known to run it on peoples computers when they've been hooked up to them.

www.tweaking.com

Use the program to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking.

Open the program and when it has checked itself click on Jump to repairs/Open repairs where it will auto create a registry back up.

When you get the repairs window, if they are all checked then uncheck the top selection box and just check the box for repair 17 which is for the CD/DVD player and see if that does anything for you.

You can of course run them all that apply to your system should there be another underlying cause and you always have the registry back up to fall back on.

You could leave the one for Windows Update as that will remove your update history.

The reason it is advised to run the program in Safe Mode is so your antivirus program doesn't get in the way.
Old 01-11-17, 09:05
Established member

Thank you.
I am continuing to work through the suggestions. However one problem I am having is that such as downloading such as Driver Talent,

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-...indows-10.html

and another suggested software which at the moment I cannot remember is seen by Avast as not being good/safe and is deleted without my seemingly having any control over this. So i am struggling to move forward.

Of course I am trying to move on with the suggestions, within my toleration for this doing my head in.... eg with the registry/system restore (tweaking.com etc).

Tomorrow I am in the area of a John Lewis store, Peter Jones shop in Sloane Square, London and as it is under warranty they will look at the laptop. However meanwhile I am persevering with this as I will be without my laptop for at least a couple of weeks, and without this I shall be deeply inconvenienced!!

So the problem now might be the barriers right or wrong of Avast (free)!!
Old 01-11-17, 11:56
Top contributor

Avast can be quite zealous if it doesn't 'recognise' a download or installation (usually .exe files) being in its data base. I quite often get this particularly with updates to some applications. A download will 'fail'.
As they are from well-known & trusted sources, I right click the Avast tray icon > Avast Shield Controls > Disable for 10 minutes.

Avast will/should normally examine those files first, either for a brief time, or sometimes overnight and then declare them 'safe.
Old 15-11-17, 14:13
Established member

Thank you. I took my laptop to be sent away as it is under warranty. And as I was near to the shop in central London it seemed the best thing to do. I shall let you know of any feedback.
Old 11-12-17, 15:00
Established member

My disc drive was repaired by Lenovo under warranty. They needed to get a part to restore it to working. The computer was cleaned/ wiped, so imperative to have a backup, which I did. Fortunately my robust 'Integral' USB survived a 50 degree wash in the washing machine as it went through by mistake.

Thank you again for your support.
Old 11-12-17, 15:07
Global Moderator

So is that what's known as a "clean" install
Old 18-12-17, 14:20
Established member

Very clean, yes