Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 29-03-18, 11:47
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Question for Spit about EaseUs

Hello Spit - hope you pick this up.

As you know, I have used EaseUs Free Backup for several years now and always found it simple and successful.

Recently I have discovered something strange with my File Backup system.

I do a full backup to a dedicated external HD every fortnight for just Documents and Favourites as I have set up on the EaseUs program. At each year end I delete all backups for that year from the external drive except the final December one which is left on the disk as an archive and dated.

Just discovered that when I open an archive (direct from disk or via EaseUs recovery) - say Dec. 2014 - it is showing documents dated Feb. 2018 and all dates in between!!

This was not what I had intended - the idea was to just save one example of Documents up to a fixed date for that year and then start again on the next year... and so on.

Where have I gone wrong and what can I do about it?

Best regards

Roy
Old 11-04-18, 13:11
Highly valued member

Default Re: Question for Spit about EaseUs

Hi Roy,

Nope - I was unaware of this thread until I received your recent PM.
As you know, threads quickly disappear from the front page New Posts after they're posted.

I'm down in London on business until Friday, so can't access my machines until I get home.
I'll then reply to this thread sometime during next weekend.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Regards, Spit
Old 11-04-18, 13:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Spit

Look forward to hearing from you.

We are all well - same with you I hope.

Regards

Roy
Old 13-04-18, 13:25
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Spit

Just an update to my first post with some info. I have gleaned from an experiment I did whilst doing my routine housekeeping yesterday.

Before doing any backups I deleted 8 PDF files (credit card statements) dated in 2013 from my computer

After the backups for 12.4.18 had completed:-

1) Disk/partition Backup - no sign of 2013 files which I had deleted.

2) File Backup - still showing 2013 files on the 12.4.18 backup !!

Don't see how this can happen to a new backup when the files have been deleted from the source - help !!!

Don't know if this sheds any light or not.

Regards

Roy
Old 15-04-18, 21:23
Highly valued member

Hi Roy,

Regarding your File Backup system, I assume that youíre using the option File Backup within the Easeus program, and then ticking the boxes exclusively for My Documents and Favorites folders so that you will have 11 months of My Documents & Favourites folders which you then delete and start the same procedures the following year again. Ö in addition to your fortnightly Disk/Partition backups.

TBH, Iím puzzled why you want to retain 11 months of My Documents and then delete them again. It seems such a pointless exercise. If the Spits did that, we would have to hire someone to look after all these extra backups for all the machines we have.
What the Spits have done is create various shortcuts within our respective Send to folders. These folders are named My Own Documents within our My Documents folders. That is, they contain only our own personal documents. We regularly separately save our documents by right-clicking on them, selecting Send to option Ö which will be an external drive. When we do this, we then delete the older redundant backup.

Regarding your Favorites folder, we both use Edge as our default browser.
Our favorites change daily, so we regularly back them up by exporting them to an HTML file.
But when we do this, we then delete the older redundant file.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/import...favorites-html

How to Import or Export Edge browser Favorites to an HTML file
Microsoft has added the ability to Export and Import your Favorites in Edge browser in the HTML file format. This feature will save you both, time and efforts, as you will now be easily able to export to or import from, favorites and bookmarks from any web browser.

Thus, a user no more needs to manually look for all his favorites. All he has to do is use import or export an HTML file into a browser, and get all his bookmarks restored. This functionality is especially useful in case youíre changing a browser, computer, or User Account.

Regarding why your deleted PDF files are still appearing in your File Backup system, I havenít a clue. But in any case, I suggest you stop the practice of saving and deleting them all annually.

Our Company is currently undergoing a reorganisation, so alas I wonít have the time to follow this thread.

Spit
Old 17-04-18, 11:48
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Spit

Regards

Roy