Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Notices

Old 08-01-13, 21:06
Familiar face

Default Cursing the curser for W8!

I bought a new Lenovo laptap recently and it has W8 installed. The main problem I have with it is that I don't have a touch-screen computer, I have to use the mouse pad.

I am finding it so frustrating using the curser with W8 because you have to be so very careful where the curser is on the screen you are working on because whilst working away on one screen, the curser only has to glance over something on screen or move to one of the corners of the screen and suddenly you've got your Pictures Library up, or Apps Store or whatever b%%%%y thing you don't want!

I know to press Win+D or Win+B to get back to the original screen but to have to continually do that over and over again is soul destroying!

Is anyone else finding the same? Is there anything I can do apart from continually swearing at my computer?!!
Old 08-01-13, 21:29
Highly valued member

Default Re: Cursing the curser for W8!

Quote:
The main problem I have with it is that I don't have a touch-screen computer, I have to use the mouse pad.
Have you considered using a mouse? When using a Laptop, I never use the touchpad, I always use a wireless mouse and disable the touchpad.
Old 08-01-13, 22:30
Familiar face

Smile Re: Cursing the curser for W8!

Actually, I've always preferred using a wireless mouse with the other laptop. I will certainly get it set up so I can use the mouse with the Lenovo. But when I am using my other laptap, I still occasionally use the mouse pad if the wireless mouse needs new batteries or whatever, and I certainly never had the problem of curser madness that I'm experiencing with W8 (I have W7 on my older laptop)

However, I will set up my wireless mouse on the Lenovo to see if things improve!
Old 09-01-13, 04:19
Highly valued member

Default Re: Cursing the curser for W8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmcc View Post
Have you considered using a mouse? When using a Laptop, I never use the touchpad, I always use a wireless mouse and disable the touchpad.
You can change the pointer precision, sensitivity and speed of the cursor in the Mouse options within the Control Panel. Every manufacturer decides how much money it wants to throw at the touchpad, and a small number of the cheaper touchpads are not very good to use, although changing the options can alleviate this. In my experience, Apple make the best touchpads and devices - a joy to use.

My first computer was a laptop and I learned to use it via its touchpad; no room sat in an armchair to use a mouse. Consequently I'm not very good or comfortable with using a mouse, which makes me a bit of a freak it seems. If I practiced more I'd get better at it, but I just don't need to. I think the same applies to using touchpads. I even have a standalone touchpad for my desktop PC.

I sense there's a danger here of touchpads being generally seen as useless or inferior, to be avoided at all costs, but it ain't necessarily so.