Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Other Software

Old 18-05-18, 09:56
Familiar face

Default SSD wear spreading

Perhaps the more knowledgeable folk in the forum could answer my query......I use an SSD in both laptops and have to update various spreadsheets almost daily......As I understand it, each update is saved in the least wiped location of the drive.....This is a fundamental characteristic of an SSD, because they do have a finite life. It therefore means that over time there are hundreds of old versions of these spreadsheet files (or indeed any other file) all over the place.

So, if I use the "wipe free space" facility on either Privazer (for Windows) or BleachBit2 (for Linux), I have previously assumed that "free Space" would include all these defunct files....Now I'm not so sure even though Recuva (for Windows) is unable to find any trace of them.....Unfortunately both software creators don't respond to the query.
Old 18-05-18, 10:10
Global Moderator

Default Re: SSD wear spreading

It isn't advisable to wipe the free space on a SSD as you can damage it - https://forum.piriform.com/topic/283...eaner-and-ssd/
Old 18-05-18, 10:46
Passionate member

Default Re: SSD wear spreading

You do not need to worry. Do nothing.
Quote:
SSDs independently re-shuffle data for wear levelling. Those changes are recorded on a separate map. In other words, SSDs do not use any physically indexable locations, and software cannot specifically target sectors on the disk.
Quote:
To comply with wear levelling, the SSD must constantly move data around the drive to ensure all blocks are worn at an equal rate. Using a secure “file shredder” to overwrite a specific file or folder many numbers of times is not going to work, because the drive writes all new incoming data to various different blocks, depending on its needs. Only the drive knows where this data is written, so secure deletion tools actually harm SSDs by performing an unnecessary number of additional writes.
In other words your data is safe.
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/secure...ut-destroying/