Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 26-03-17, 15:16
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Windows updates

When I go to Windows Updates I see the green shield with a tick saying no important updates available. This bothers me because I'm sure I read that there were updates in March. It gives a list of optional updates available but none of these will download.
KB3172605 is not installed and will not install even with Standalone Installer.
Sfc /scannow gave: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Old 26-03-17, 16:19
Global Moderator

Have another look at that WSUS video - following a factory reset on a Win 7 laptop, I had the updates presented but it was stuck on Downloading and I successfully used WSUS to install them.

Of the 251 that were presented, it downloaded/installed 156 of them which were the security updates and when they were done, I went to Windows Update where the rest were waiting and they downloaded/installed without any problem.

If you had been using a laptop then perhaps you could have taken it to a computer club, but do you know anyone who could walk you through or use WSUS for you ?

Sometimes failing to install can be a DNS problem, but I'd try and give WSUS a go.

If you want to see if changing the DNS servers in your computer will help, let me know and I'll walk you through the simple steps for that.
Old 26-03-17, 16:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Cantrel, I've looked again at that video and the WSUS site but I see various Windows7 entries down that right column and it's not obvious to me which to gather together.
Meantime I have no trouble downloading in general eg Malwarebytes, Spyware Blaster and other stuff, it'd simply Windows stuff that seems to be the problem.
If you consider that the DNS thingy is worth a try then, if it's not too difficult, that would be another avenue.
It would be very good of you to give your time.
Old 26-03-17, 17:40
Global Moderator

I'll take you through changing the DNS servers and then I'll be shooting off for a while and won't be back until sometime after 10.

If changing the DNS servers doesn't help then I'll try and take you through WSUS.

If after 10 is too late for you, it will still be there for you in the morning.

Go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter.

Right click on whichever adapter you are using - wireless or Ethernet and select Properties.

You can uncheck the box for (TCP/IPv6) as that can cause problems, but click on (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties

Click on the lower radio button for Use the following DNS servers and in the top row of boxes type 8.8.8.8

Tab down to the next row and type 8.8.4.4

Typing a . after each number will auto tab to the next box in that row.

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close - where the troubleshooter will start and should report it can't find any problems.

Close off those windows then go Start - type cmd and right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then type and press enter after each of these commands -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

and then try the updates again after the reboot.

To revert to the original auto DNS servers, just click on the button immediately above the lower one.
Old 26-03-17, 17:48
Enthusiastic contributor

This is ever so good of you Cantrel, but first can I just establish that embarking on this won't compromise TalkTalk?
Also I think maybe tomorrow might be better for me.
Just reassure me that TT won't be affected and then enjoy your evening!
Old 26-03-17, 18:47
Familiar face

Weller, I notice in your post #6 that you ran the Troubleshooter and then tried to download KB3172605. What you have to do is download KB3172605 first, from the link in Stewart's post #9. Do not try & install it yet, just save it.
Then run the Troubleshooter, it will say problems not fixed, but ignore that.
Reboot & then install KB3172605 from your downloads or wherever you saved it.
Then check for updates again.

When I was sorting out my problem I did the same as you & only after some trial & error did I get it right!

Von

Last edited by Von; 26-03-17 at 18:54. Reason: typo
Old 26-03-17, 19:13
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Von. I've tried all ways to install that KB - or any other one.
No can do!
Off to bed now.
Old 26-03-17, 20:06
Familiar face

Sorry about that. I hope Cantrel's solution will work for you. Good luck.
Old 26-03-17, 22:15
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weller View Post
This is ever so good of you Cantrel, but first can I just establish that embarking on this won't compromise TalkTalk?
Also I think maybe tomorrow might be better for me.
Just reassure me that TT won't be affected and then enjoy your evening!
I'm with TT and use those DNS servers.

I started using them because with TT's I was initially getting a yellow alert on my wifi icon on boot and changing to Google's DNS servers resolved it.

It's a bit late now for me to download WSUS to refresh my memory, so that will be a job for tomorrow morning if the DNS change doesn't help.
Old 26-03-17, 23:31
Top contributor

Have you tried checking the settings mentioned in the article I linked to? If not, have a look, as this was what finally sorted out our laptops. If you’re not sure about how to do this, either go to ‘Run’, which you can find by pressing the Windows key + R, type in services.msc and either click OK or press enter; the Services window should then open. You can also find this via Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services.

Once you’ve got this window open, find the following entries:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Windows Update

Double click on each entry in turn, make sure they’re shown as Started and set the the Startup Type to Automatic (Delayed Start) - there’s a drop-down menu for this. Click Apply and OK. It might be a good idea to restart your PC after doing this to make sure it’s effective. With the 2nd laptop, it had been fine up to and including the January updates, it was only the March ones which I couldn’t get initially.
Quote:
Curiously, the Forum website is showing “This site is not secure” in the address bar – not seen that before.
It wasn’t a mistake weller, have a look here:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....0&postcount=10