Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 27-08-18, 14:25
Familiar face

Default WinLogon

Win Patrol has suddenly started to flag WinLogon:UserInit as a new or modified startup program. Is it safe to accept it. Thanks
RichardM

Win 7. Firefox
Old 01-09-18, 23:13
Top contributor

Default Re: WinLogon

I've never used WinPatrol, so I can't be sure of what they mean or whether it's safe to accept it. In Bill Pytlovany's article about WinPatrol PLUS here

WinPatrol PLUS Features

in item 3 "Advanced Examination of HIDDEN Registry Startup Keys" (NOW FREE in Version 14), it says
Quote:
WinPatrol PLUS will let you know about any changes to the following alternate startup keys.
The last of the keys shown there is this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon UserInit

The correct entry for this key will be followed by a comma, as mentioned in BurrWalnut's post in the thread linked to below:

Userinit logon application - Microsoft Community
Quote:
1. Open Task Manager, click ‘New Task’ at the bottom, type regedit.exe and press Enter.

2. Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and in the right pane look for UserInit, which should contain C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe followed by a comma.

Any other program name(s) following the comma can be removed. If you make any changes, restart the computer.
This was about someone whose AV had detected a virus, but I'm not sure that the rest of the post or thread is relevant to your query. All the same, it would be a good idea to run scans with your anti-virus program and Malwarebytes if you have it to make sure that you haven't picked up anything nasty. If you need to get Malwarebytes, you can download it here:

Malwarebytes for Windows - Antivirus Replacement for PCs | Malwarebytes

You can either use the free trial for 14 days, after which you'll have to pay for it or let it change to the free version, or alter it to the free version right away.

You may also find this explanatory article from file.net useful:

Is userinit.exe safe? How to remove a userinit error?
Old 04-09-18, 20:58
Familiar face

Thanks for the reply. Since posting WinPatrol flagged it up again and I rejected it and it hasn't appeared since and everything seems to be working OK, so I'll leave it like that. I do have Malwarebytes and that is flagging up 42 restricted sites problems as per your other post. I also run Spybot so hopefully something will be sorted out about this problem between them.
Old 05-09-18, 00:59
Top contributor

You're very welcome RichardM. I'm glad the WinPatrol issue seems to be resolved, hopefully there won't be a recurrence.

As for the AdwCleaner/SpywareBlaster/Spybot trouble, there are 2 threads about this, so I'm not sure which one you've seen! Links:

SpywareBlaster and AdwCleaner - Web User Forums

I didn't know about the Spybot involvement when I started the above thread.

AdwCleaner 7.2.3 ~ 30/08/2018 - Web User Forums

As you can see from post #17 onwards in this thread on the Malwarebytes AdwCleaner Forum, they know that the difficulty still persists to a certain small extent with Spybot. I'll keep checking and report in one of the threads here when they eventually get it sorted!