Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Video & Photo

Notices

Old 17-10-18, 09:26
Familiar face

Default NAS server to replace my old Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player

Got really fed up with this device and it's getting old now. I also have a very old "Iomega Screenplay pro".
What I liked about these devices was the direct link to my AV receiver so I could play straight to the TV with the supplied remote.
I also liked the fact that as well as all the compressed video files I have (mkv's and mp4 files etc.) It would also play My DVD's that I had ripped as ISO files (So I retained all the menus which for some DVD'd like red dwarf (with the hidden extra's) was worth it.
I also wouldn't mind ripping my blu-ray collection.
I think when I last asked I was told to get a synology server and use some software like PLEX to stream from it? Would this be the best option?
I have a samsung smart tv as well as a samsung blu-ray player which also has the same smart facilities. I currently use an old kodi box for playing some of my media files as my old director will not play the new video codecs.
I did look at buying this:
QNAP-TS-251-8G-Desktop-Enclosure.
Or this:
Synology DS218+ 2BAY 2.0 GHZ DC 1X GBE 2GB DDR3L 3X USB 3.0 1X ESATA

Any help really appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 17-10-18, 10:10
Passionate member

Default Re: NAS server to replace my old Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player

I have a Synology DS215J, which will do everything that you want. I respectfully suggest that this is not the forum for best technical advice on a Synology product. Instead I recommend that you visit the Synology forum where you will get answers to any difficult questions.
https://forum.synology.com/enu/

New home:
https://community.synology.com/

They have a NAS selector:
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/nas_selector
Old 17-10-18, 10:19
Highly valued member

Default Re: NAS server to replace my old Iomega ScreenPlay Director HD Media Player

Sneaky, Just out of interest I had a look at your link and it appears that there are a lot of unhappy bunnies on it due to some changes made with the forum set up. Just wondering if Ultravox might have difficulties as a newbie to it.

fosseway
Old 17-10-18, 11:17
Passionate member

Yes, that is true but the information about each of the devices is still there and the advice is still good. You do not have to join as a member. Just look through the postings?