Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Old 23-07-17, 10:49
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Cruzer Blade 128gb

And the bigger disk the bigger the, apparent, loss is. For instance my 1 Tb hard drive shows up as being 931 Gb. that is a seemingly massive loss of 69 Gb. Good grief it wasn't so long ago that I was fitting computers with hard drives a tenth that size.
Old 23-07-17, 11:18
Global Moderator

I've wondered if they can be done under the Trades Description Act as it certainly hasn't got what it says on the tin.
Old 23-07-17, 11:46
Enthusiastic contributor

What's that old saying - Ignorance is no excuse?

I donít think manufacturers are deliberately trying to deceive anyone.
Sandisk, as an example and relevant to this thread, explain on their website why the capacity of a device (as reported by many operating systems) does not match its label.

Why is the capacity of my device (as reported by many operating systems) different than the capacity that is listed on its label?

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46/~/capacity-of-the-device-%28as-reported-by-many-operating-systems%29-does-not-match
Old 23-07-17, 12:09
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzygraham View Post
What's that old saying - Ignorance is no excuse?

I donít think manufacturers are deliberately trying to deceive anyone.
Sandisk, as an example and relevant to this thread, explain on their website why the capacity of a device (as reported by many operating systems) does not match its label.

Why is the capacity of my device (as reported by many operating systems) different than the capacity that is listed on its label?

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/d...does-not-match
Yes, but as Pete has said, the loss is incremental to the size of the storage media and can't all be taken up by overheads.

69GB loss of storage on a 1TB HDD is quite a loss.

They don't explain why they use Decimal, so as to whether they are pulling a fast one or not goes unanswered.

The same info as you have posted is on the boxes of my Seagate 1TB drives, but the print is that small, it is difficult to read - at least for me and is certainly not as prominent as perhaps it should be - hence the query that has been asked on here as well as their CS website.
Old 23-07-17, 12:57
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I've wondered if they can be done under the Trades Description Act as it certainly hasn't got what it says on the tin.

An apparent 'loss' of 12gb is huge. Having said that, I can't actually speak to anyone about this at the moment as they're not there until tomorrow.
Old 23-07-17, 18:03
Enthusiastic contributor

You have not "lost" anything at all. It is a question of measurement standard. Similar practice is the spec of a TV screen which is measured diagonally when most would assume it was the horizontal width,(This is even more innacurate with a widescreen screen). Another example is the statement of Audio Power output from an amplifier which can state output of 20 Watts (PMPO) when in true fact the RMS value is 2 Watts/channel.

Manufacturers will always pick the measurement standard that suits them to make it seem as large as possible. Hard Drives have always been measured using 1KB is equal to 1000 Bytes. Remember also that the general public are not generally aware that computers are based on a binary system where 8 bits equal one Byte (which results in 1024 bits in a Byte) so in one way of looking at it it could be argued that it is more sensible to the general non technical public.
Old 23-07-17, 21:45
Enthusiastic contributor

It does actually cause what could become a serious problem. I occasionally repair computers. I did do it for a living but I'm retired now. Anyway sometimes when I have installed a hard drive I put the disk capacity, as it says on the disk label, on to my invoice. I also tell the customer that I have installed a 500Gb or a 1Tb or whatever disk. On more than one occasion a customer has come back to me saying that the disk is not showing the full capacity. It can be extremely difficult to explain to people with a slight knowledge of all this stuff why that is especially when they have an invoice in their hand that is telling them one thing and their computer is telling them something completely different. It hasn't happened to me but I can quite see a scenario where the customer could want to take it further. Okay it can be explained so I am not in the wrong but that doesn't matter one iota if that customer then goes on to say that so and so is ripping people off by saying they have fitted a hard drive of 500 Gb but their computer says that so and so is a liar.

This is not likely I will admit but it is a distinct possibility.
Old 23-07-17, 22:48
Global Moderator

I think it would be noticeable to the average user when they get near to 931GB on a 1TB ext. HDD to be told there isn't enough space to save what they are wanting to.

People don't read the small print on a box - they take what it says in large print and expect that is what they are getting.
Old 23-07-17, 22:55
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
It can be extremely difficult to explain to people with a slight knowledge of all this stuff why that is especially when they have an invoice in their hand that is telling them one thing and their computer is telling them something completely different.
Refer them to the drive manufacturer.
Old 24-07-17, 00:05
Top contributor

Some more 'grist to the mill'

Gigabyte (GB) & Megabyte (MB) are apparently decimal usage, so the OS using binary should really be showing capacity as Gibibytes (GiB) and Mebibytes (MiB)