Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Old 25-07-17, 00:03
Passionate member

Default NAS question...

Hope I have the correct forum

I've never used NAS before, so would like some advise on what would be sufficient (the best option) for Sonos speakers set-up.
The more info I can get from you experts on NAS the better, thanks
Old 25-07-17, 07:07
Global Moderator

Default Re: NAS question...

What are you looking to achieve, to just play music stored on your NAS?

I believe it is achievable as it was something I was considering doing when I wanted a music speaker for the house. I'd lived here for years and had no "HiFi" option.

In the end, I settled on purchasing a Google Home speaker, and use that with Google Music. Google Music allows you to store your music in the cloud (50000 songs AFAIK) and those files can be streamed via the Google Home speaker. I still have my music backed up on my NAS, but no longer use the NAS for access and just for storage.

If you want to use Sonos then you can still use a cloud based service for your music to stream from, and you can also use a NAS to stream your music.

Here's their answer on the subject
Old 26-07-17, 03:06
Passionate member

Yes to store music I guess.

TBO, I don't know what I need NAS for , but I'll look intoGoogle music.
I have Google Photos which I like so perhaps G Music will suffice.
Does that mean I won't need NAS then?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm not conversant with NAS (as you probably guess)
Old 27-07-17, 19:42
Global Moderator

Yeah, you can forget the outlay of a NAS (unless you have no other back up method) by uploading your music to the Google Music Manager then using your smart device (phone or tablet) to then send the music to your Sonos.

Once you've done that, then maybe consider a NAS for storage of the same files for added backup peace of mind?

Obviously, if you're playing with a good budget then do both.

The uploading of your music to the cloud will take a while (depending on your upload speed) but will be worth it in the end, as it is then accessible wherever you have internet access.
Old 28-07-17, 22:11
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.gas View Post
Yes to store music I guess.

TBO, I don't know what I need NAS for , but I'll look intoGoogle music.
I have Google Photos which I like so perhaps G Music will suffice.
Does that mean I won't need NAS then?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm not conversant with NAS (as you probably guess)
Bob I'm no expert on NAS set ups but NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. If you haven't got a home network of computers, ie one for you, one for your wife, sons/daughters, mother-in-law etc. who all need individual access to a central store of archived files be it photos, music, general data and your printer(s) or whatever then you don't actually need a NAS set up.

One thing I've considered NAS for outside of linking a home network is to back up daily to it then when I am not at home and the PC(s) are shut down the NAS is left ticking over and I would have access to it from anywhere that I can get on line. It's like having your own personal cloud.

However her who must be obeyed would probably sneek in while I'm loading up the taxi and switch it off 'cos she's like that. Plus I would be worrying about lighting totaling the NAS and everything on it while away, as I always unplug when thunder and lighting get near. So I just stuck with my Western 2Tb external drive and saved the money. ...Still tempted though.
Old 28-07-17, 23:01
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Bob I'm no expert on NAS set ups but NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. If you haven't got a home network of computers, ie one for you, one for your wife, sons/daughters, mother-in-law etc. who all need individual access to a central store of archived files be it photos, music, general data and your printer(s) or whatever then you don't actually need a NAS set up.
I agree with Jack ..... first consider if you really need a NAS setup.

There is also another factor to consider ... have a look at this link .....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ct-ransomware/

The greatest damage people suffer from a ransomware attack is the loss of files, including pictures and*documents.*
The best protection against ransomware*is to back up all of the information and files on your devices in a completely separate system. A good place to do this is on an external hard drive that isn't connected to the internet. This means that if you suffer an attack you won't lose*any information to the hackers.

I routinely create Image backups of my machines to external drives. I never leave these drives permanently connected to my home network, and disconnect them once I've completed my Image backups.
Apparently it's possible for malware to also attack other connected drives, and I wouldn't want my Images compromised.

Spit
Old 29-07-17, 00:05
Highly valued member

Greetings Bob,

Further to above ... have a look at this link .....

Protecting a NAS against ransomware
https://community.spiceworks.com/top...nst-ransomware

Yep - your eyes are likely to glaze over ... mine did.

I suspect you may change your mind about the hoops you may have to jump through to adequately protect your NAS from ransomware.
I think I'll stick to coming offline prior to creating Image backups; then physically disconnecting my external drives again prior to going online.
My backups have got me out of various holes in the past, so I won't take any chances.

Regards, Spit
Old 29-07-17, 12:09
Passionate member

Thank you kindly for all the reply's chaps

I'm in the middle of packing and sorting my gear for our new home, and not in too much of a hurry to get NAS or anything else yet.
I will look through what you say & the links you sent when time allows.

I'm excited about get stuck into searching for new equipment for the new place
ie.... new PC (maybe), TV& speakers etc etc