Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Open Forum

Old 10-01-18, 11:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Hotlinking

Uploading images directly to the WU forum is a bit of a palaver, and takes some practice. It helps if you inflate the dialogue box to full screen so that all the options and necessary steps are visible. It does set size limitations for the images that you upload, hence you won't see any huge ones.

Nik
Old 12-01-18, 00:01
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Can all members who use this method of posting a pic etc. read this article as it may have contributed to the hang.

http://awesomelytechie.com/dont-hotlink/

In future, can you save images to your computer and then upload them from there.

Thank you.

Tom
I’ve been contacted by a few WU members enquiring what the current official Web User policy is when members post images on our forums. They are now unsure what is acceptable, and what is not.

Regarding Hotlinking, most of us Hotlink images, and have always done so.

For example, I have posted many screenshots within my two stickies and my other tutorials. I have then uploaded these images from my PC to the free Imgur image hosting website then downloaded/copied them to our forum’s message box.
In effect I have hotlinked them from Imgur which has freely offered the codes for inserting images in forums etc. Others use this (or similar) procedure for posting screenshots when looking for help.
I assume that this example of hotlinking is acceptable.

Now let us consider the scenario where members hotlink images from other websites that also host, say, images for smilies and animated GIF images. The images that are hosted on these websites are freely provided with image codes that can be posted on forums.
In this scenario, is this practice now frowned upon (or banned) by our Web User admin?
For example, here is a typical free hosting website for posting smilies and animated GIFs …..

http://www.picturesanimations.com/

….. with its freely offered codes for forums, etc.

I should mention that you have to trust such websites … not all can be trusted.

An obvious example of illegal hotlinking is mentioned on my post #2 here …..

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....84&postcount=2

And you also have to be very careful of posting Copyright material such as photos and images.

Personally, if I want to save a smiley or animated image for future posts , I first save the JPEG or GIF file to my PC’s desktop prior to uploading it to Imgur.
But is it also acceptable to copy the codes from a third-party image hosting website and then insert these codes directly into our WU forums … so what is the current official WU code of practice?

Jak has raised interesting points on his posts 3# and 13# on this thread …..

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthrea...=150992&page=2

….. but I don’t have sufficient knowledge to give an informed opinion on his observations.

Spit
Old 12-01-18, 00:51
Top contributor

As far as I can see there shouldn’t be a problem with images posted here using an image hosting site as described in the article linked to below:

Image hosting service - Wikiwand
Quote:
An image hosting service allows individuals to upload images to an Internet website. The image host will then store the image onto its server, and show the individual different types of code to allow others to view that image.
This is not illegal hotlinking and is done on most, if not all, forum websites. The bandwidth used is that of the hosting site, not of the forum. It would be ludicrous to expect all images here to be uploaded from our PCs only and to be unable to use image hosting sites.
Quote:
Regarding Hotlinking, most of us Hotlink images, and have always done so.

For example, I have posted many screenshots within my two stickies and my other tutorials. I have then uploaded these images from my PC to the free Imgur image hosting website then downloaded/copied them to our forum’s message box.
In effect I have hotlinked them from Imgur which has freely offered the codes for inserting images in forums etc. Others use this (or similar) procedure for posting screenshots when looking for help.
I assume that this example of hotlinking is acceptable.
This is what I have always believed to be acceptable and what has been done here over all the years I’ve been coming here. Unless the rules are changed on this site specifically to ban using image hosting sites to display images here, I shall continue to do so; I hope others will too, otherwise this site will be a lot poorer, visually at least.
Old 12-01-18, 09:12
Web User Staff

Just to clarify: we're not asking forum members to stop linking to images on third-party hosting sites altogether, as it's undoubtedly a useful means of illustrating posts and less fiddly than uploading images.

However, please stick to using legitimate hosting services, don't link to copyrighted content and don't overdo it with the size and number of embedded images in each post as this may affect forum speed.

Last edited by Robert Irvine Editor; 12-01-18 at 14:52.
Old 12-01-18, 10:02
Highly valued member

Thanks' Robert for that clarification, and also to Spit and Madeline for clearing up some of the ambiguities attached to that query.

Mike.
Old 12-01-18, 14:30
Highly valued member

For what its worth my own opinion on the slow postings may have been caused by Photobucket dead ending the thousands of hotlinks which must be now (or was) on this forum before Robert removed a shed load.

I suggested to Robert in a PM that this might be the cause of the slow posting, now it may have been the 'general clean up' which Robert also carried out at the same time that following day but personally I believe it was the dead links as I had suggested and clearing a whole host of dead links in one swoop on the cancer thread was the quickest way to try it and it seems my guess could have been right, either way the problem seems to have gone with the cleared dead links.

Reason for the guess:- As I understand it (and I have only dabbled in Web site back-ends Sneaky Beaky is the man on this stuff) it is common practice to divert hot links you don't want away from regular traffic to a warning notice image which can be a 'htaccess file'.

Linking to a htaccess file will (I believe) slow the accessing computer/server down slightly but not so dramatically for it to be a real pain. However WU must have had thousands of hotlinks to this notice which could have been a htaccess file plus PB could have been also storing the htaccess file (if that's what it was) on an old slow server with possibly limited bandwidth. When you think about it they wouldn't want all those none paying and dead hotlinks blocking up the the bandwidth of their now paying customers. So the latter also seems a reasonable possibility. All of that could have been dragging a hot-linking forum down to the speed of the location it is hot-linking to.

I don't really know how all those links bouncing backwards and forwards under any or all of the above the conditions might have effected WU's bandwidth but it couldn't have been doing anything to improved it.

In addition to the above many of the now photobucket dead hotlinks which could have been now accessing an htaccess file were also hyperlinking to the breast cancer site. So you could have had thousands of dead hot-links to a htaccess file and that hot-linked htaccess file image then hyperlinked to the breast cancer site.

Try and get your head around what the effects on the WU posting speed that might have.

Definitely one for Sneaky Beaky I think and well beyond my level of comprehension.

In summary, providing WU administration say its OK and the above is correct, Hotlinking to a image hosting site isn't, in my opinion, a problem while the image hosting site allows it. Once they do what PB did expect problems if there are thousands of images redirected to the same 'God knows where' location.

PS I'm Glad Glenda didn't get too upset about it, see I've even gone and remembered her real name now, but then I do have a poor memory Helen
Old 12-01-18, 15:15
Enthusiastic contributor

An awful lot of websites these days don't host fonts themselves, to save bandwidth, but sub the job out to google. So the site sends to google the info it wants displayed on your screen, along with your current IP number, and google sends the text image info direct to your computer.
It's a sort of hotlinking (ish), and since google can be very slow sometimes, could this contribute to slow website loading. Just asking. I don't know whether WU uses the google fonts service or not. It is free so it probably does.

Anyway, if you happen to be logged into google at the time, google compares the IP number it is sent from the site in question with the IP numbers on its logged in list, and hence knows where you are visiting and what you are reading/doing there. Spooky!

Nik
Old 12-01-18, 15:18
Highly valued member

You haven't made me smile this time.
Old 12-01-18, 17:41
Passionate member

Following on from Jak’s post:
An htaccess file probably exists on every standard server and is used to give permissions to files and folders. For example, on all my websiites I use a script within the root folder htaccess file to ‘Prevent’ hotlinking to any of the images on my server. I also have other htaccess files protecting other folders on my server that I don’t want to be visible in browsers in order to protect their contents from direct access. Code withn my htaccess files also convert my websites from http to https access. This is common, standard practice. It should not be the cause of any slowdown in posting. Nor should a broken link or any other link.
The hotlinking may not be the cause of the posts hanging problem on this forum.
Why do I say this?
The hotlinked images would only be accessed or an attempt made to access them, if someone is viewing the post that contains the hotlink.
The rest of the time they are inactive. What about other threads and posts that contain hotlinks? Are they still slowing down posting? No?
I suspect that the deleting of the very large thread gave the forum, and the database that powers it, some breathing space, either because it was very large and the database was feeling the strain on a very large forum or because it was corrupted within the database. If this is the case then the problem might happen again as more posts are made and the forum begins to groan under the strain once more.
Edit: Now that was interesting. It has taken three attempts to post this without it closing down on me.
Old 12-01-18, 20:13
Top contributor

Thanks for clarifying the situation for us Robert. From Sneakybeaky’s post:
Quote:
The hotlinking may not be the cause of the posts hanging problem on this forum.
Why do I say this?
The hotlinked images would only be accessed or an attempt made to access them, if someone is viewing the post that contains the hotlink.
The rest of the time they are inactive. What about other threads and posts that contain hotlinks? Are they still slowing down posting? No?
I suspect that the deleting of the very large thread gave the forum, and the database that powers it, some breathing space, either because it was very large and the database was feeling the strain on a very large forum or because it was corrupted within the database. If this is the case then the problem might happen again as more posts are made and the forum begins to groan under the strain once more.
I find this very interesting Sneakybeaky. Do you think it would also help to ease any potential strain on the database if a lot of very old stuff were to be deleted? Recently I carried out a search on here and 2 of the results were very old, one in 2005 and the other in 2007, but both still viewable. Is there any point in such old threads being retained do you think?

Edit: This post appeared very quickly on 1st attempt!

Last edited by Madeline; 12-01-18 at 20:16. Reason: As shown