Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Software updates & recommendations

Old 03-10-17, 20:16
Highly valued member

Default Creating Image Backups Using Macrium Reflect Free - October 2017

Hi Folks,

Backing up your computer should really be a routine practice nowadays. External drives are now reasonably cheap so itís even better if you have two (or three) external drives. This will allow you to create your backups alternately (belt-and-braces) on each drive to also cover the possibility of an external drive failing.
If your system succumbs to the escalating Ransomware threat, and your files become encrypted, a system backup may be your only salvation to recover your precious files and photos.
The same applies if your PCís internal HDD fails unexpectedly and has to be replaced. You would simply replace the drive with the new appropriately sized one, and then use your latest Image backup to fully restore your PC back to the state when you created that backup.

Image Backups Using Macrium Reflect Free - Version 7

Creating an Image of your [C:] drive to an external drive allows you to store this image along with other images (and other files & folders) at the same time (see below).
Whereas, creating a Clone of your [C:] drive to an external drive would first delete all your other stored backups along with your other files & folders that you may have already stored. It would literally clone one drive to another.

The only time that I would consider cloning a backup is if I became aware that my PC hard-drive was failing and had to be replaced with a new one. Even then, an Image backup would do the same but without these storage complications.

If your external drive also contains backups of other computers, you should add a prefix to the default Backup filename to identify each computer when creating backups.
Mrs Spitís main W10 desktop computer is one I built for her. I then upgraded her older Dell machine to Windows 10, and she networked them per Homegroup with selected shared editable folders.
To identify her backups, she added Dell as a prefix to the default Plan Name when using EaseUS.

Macrium Reflect recommends leaving its default Backup filename but you may prefer to rename it for easier identification. Mrs Spit named it as New PC as per below and also added the date.

I have a number of networked W10 machines, two of which are synchronised and dedicated solely for business use, so I prefer to keep my backups as simple as possible and not make them a complicated, onerous chore.
I donít bother using the available options Scheduling for backup cycles etc.
I simply make full Image backups fortnightly without scheduling, and without adding differential or incremental backups on top of existing backups.

At this time, the Free version of Macrium supports Differential Images but not, as yet, Incremental Images. Nor does it support File & folder backup.
This does not bother me because I prefer not to use Incremental backups as IMO they bloat backups with a chain of inter-connected, inter-dependent increments that increase the chance of a backup failing during the Recovery process.

When downloading Macrium, be aware that it has both 32-Bit and 64-Bit versions available.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

I find it much easier and quicker to just make a fresh Image each time Ö this takes me 40 minutes tops.
I normally keep the latest two backups of a machine on each external drive, and manually delete the oldest one each time after I make a fresh backup.
Between backups, I temporarily store important new stuff in a high-capacity pen-drive and/or a folder in Dropbox.

On completion of each backup, I have also configured Macrium to automatically continue the process by verifying the integrity of backups. This doubles the time, but I like the reassurance that my backups will work when I really need them.

Here are the few numbered steps I use for my no-frills Image backups Ö..

1) Open the Macrium Reflect program after you connect your external drive.

2) Click on the Image this disk option (see below).

3) Select the partitions that you want to include in your Image backup. I usually select all partitions.

As you will see above, the recommended default Macrium Backup filename of {IMAGEID} is not easily identifiable if you have several backups in your external HDD, so I suggest that you add your own dated backup filename instead of the recommended default one.
Therefore, remove the tick from the Use the Image ID as the file name box, and then type your own dated appropriate file name. I have typed ďLibrary Desktop 23.09.17Ē.
The destination drive letter (external drive) is usually displayed by default, though you can also navigate to it if required.
Connect your external drive prior to creating your Image backup.
Click the Next button.

As I have said earlier, Mrs Spit and I have a number of W10 machines so like to keep backups as simple as possible. We do not create templates for backup plans, nor schedule backups, nor employ incremental/differential backups etc. (see above).
We simply create full Image backups approximately every two weeks, and save them alternately to different external HDDs to cover the possibility of an external drive failing.

4) Click on the Next button.

You will see a summary of the operations to be carried out.

5) Click on the Finish button.

Because I keep my backups simple, I have removed the tick from the Save backup and schedules as an XML Backup Definition File box. (see above)
Click on the OK button.

Thatís it Ö job done Ö just a few clicks and a few typed letters.

It really doesnít get any simpler than that Ö so why complicate things?

To Auto Verify the integrity of your Image during the backup procedure.
Other Tasks >> Edit Defaults.

In the forums rules there is a 16 image restriction on posts.
Therefore, I will have to post this tutorial in two parts, so please do not add a post until I have added my second post.
Old 03-10-17, 20:23
Highly valued member

Default Re: Creating Image Backups Using Macrium Reflect Free - October 2017

Emergency Boot Disk

When you open Macrium, you will be prompted to create the Rescue Disk from within Macrium.
This will allow you to boot into Macrium Recovery and allow you to restore a backup in the event that your machine cannot boot into Windows.
However, if your machine is able to fully boot into Windows, you can then Restore your backup from your installed program.

This Win PE (Windows Pre-installation Environment) is provided by Microsoft, and the disk contains a truncated, lightweight version of Windows together with a version of Macrium Reflect. It downloads only the components that you need to rescue your system.
During the creation procedure, you will have options to create you Rescue Media on either CD, DVD or a USB device. Personally, I always use DVDís.

It goes without saying that you should functionally test your disk or USB Device to confirm that you can boot into the Macrium recovery environment. Be patient, this can take some time, so donít assume that the disk or device has failed if it doesnít load immediately.

Click on the Create Bootable Rescue Media icon.

Macrium Reflect has now upgraded from Version 6 to Version 7.1.2614.
So my Windows PE files are being subsequently updated.

Select your PE architecture Ö In my case it is 64-Bit.
Click on the Next button.

I have selected CD/DVD burner for my Rescue Media instead of a USB Device.
Click on the Finish button.

Insert your blank DVD+/-R into your optical drive Ö if youíre burning to a disk.

Click on the Finish button.

I did not require the use of a third-party burner to create my Win PE boot disk.
During the above procedure, the W10 inbuilt CD/DVD burner kicked-in without my intervention.

You can now rest easy knowing that youíre prepared in case disaster strikes.

When time permits, Iíll post some info on this thread on how to access Recovery, and navigate to your stored Image backups Ö or maybe someone else can chip in?

Regards, Spit (tornado)
Old 04-10-17, 15:11
Highly valued member

If you have now created your first backup, I assume that you have also created a Rescue Disk or Rescue USB Device.

You then functionally tested it ... Right ???

I've now tested my Rescue Disk ... and took a few photos while I did so because Windows will not be loaded to allow me to take screenshots.

Obviously this is just a dummy run to confirm that my Rescue Disk loads OK into the Macrium environment, and that I can navigate to my external drive where my Image backups are stored.

Success ... The photos below confirm I can do so.

I have selected the link Browse for an image file. (see above).
As you can see, I have navigated to my external drive, and have a choice of five Image backups to choose from.
Obviously, I would select a Macrium backup to restore.

I intend to later add to this tutorial by showing how to use Recovery to restore backups ... but this time with Windows loaded. That is, without the use of the Rescue Media.

Spit
Old 04-10-17, 15:33
Enthusiastic contributor

You already have an answer to that question:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1183933&postcount=5
Old 04-10-17, 19:02
Enthusiastic contributor

Cantrel

Hereís a few images (click to make bigger & clearer) of the System Image Recovery process using a USB Windows Recovery Drive and also using the W10 internal Recovery option (Advanced startup > Restart now).
A Hard Drive with 3 Macrium Reflect System Images was initially connected and the result shows in image № 4. A System Image cannot be found on this computer.
Going through the process again, but having a Hard Drive with 3 Macrium System Images and 2 Windows System Images (WindowsImageBackup) connected instantly shows an image search as in image № 5.
Continuing through the process № 6 - № 8 shows how the WindowsImageBackup files are found, how to use the last image available or to select a System Image of your choice and to continue through the process should I have wanted to.

The Windows Recovery Drive process does not show Macrium Images.
That is why you need to use the Macrium Reflect Rescue USB drive/disc as it has a version of Macrium Reflect in the USB drive/disc to locate and importantly to open the images in Macrium Reflect to continue the procedure.
If the Windows recovery Drive could find the MF images Ė it still needs MF to continue.
Old 05-10-17, 10:40
Global Moderator

Do you need to create a WPE disk for each machine as I noticed it listed drivers on this machine during the process which aren't the same as on my others.
Old 05-10-17, 10:51
Enthusiastic contributor

This link may help you:

Creating rescue media

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Creating+rescue+media

Look at the section named:

Once I have created rescue media, will it work on all my computers?

I have this option selected also:

It creates a hidden folder in the C Drive and gives a Macrium Reflect Boot option on Startup.

This link will save me typing info out:

https://forum.macrium.com/Topic16172.aspx
Old 05-10-17, 11:04
Global Moderator

I've just tried it on another machine and run the fix boot as it is taking longer to boot up following a repair install.

It hasn't helped though - made things worse

EDIT - I'll leave it as it is.
Old 05-10-17, 11:44
Highly valued member

Cantrel - Lizzy's link explains all.

I have a number of W10 machines, two of which are dedicated solely for business.

Therefore I cannot take the chance that a single DVD Rescue Boot Disk will work on all of them ... and if that disk became faulty, I would be in deep trouble.
I have actually tried using a boot disk on a couple of other machines, and it did work on them too, but I cannot take the chance that it would always work.

So to keep things simple and easy to manage, I've created a separate boot disk for each machine and labelled each one ... perhaps overkill, but DVDs are cheap now ... and saves me the hassle of trying each disk on my other machines.
Occasionally, I also use USB Pen Drives instead burning DVDs.

Spit
Old 05-10-17, 12:45
Global Moderator

I did notice that it took longer to get there on the other machine and was wondering whether to create another.

Probably will and then make some clones.

I'll have to remember to name them as Windows saves them by computer name which is what I've been used to.