Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Software updates & recommendations

Old 19-04-18, 15:57
Highly valued member

Default Clean Master Instead of CCleaner?

In issue 447 of WebUser magazine on page 41 it recommends using Clean Master insted of CCleaner - a well known favourite of many.

Out of interest has anyone used or tried this program and, if so, any comments on it`s use would be appreciated?
Old 19-04-18, 17:59
Passionate member

Default Re: Clean Master Instead of CCleaner?

Have not used either but did see this:
http://geekermagazine.com/clean-mast...eaner-best-pc/
Old 19-04-18, 18:16
Top contributor

Arrow Re: Clean Master Instead of CCleaner?

To a Newbie that might be a good choice in the Interim but I am happy with CCleaner(free) Having got the right items ticked for Maximum effect for my needs (over many years and several OS's) so like the Poster of this thread I shall half look at this Clean Master App and weigh up the Pros and Cons
As for the "Offers" on the CCleaner Install box and several other Popular apps How about a tutorial thread Listing the best way to deal with those option tick box /links? > For instance I only have the CC new Version Update notification and 1 other Box ticked (Not the Run CCleaner Link in the recycle bin and CC shortcut on the Desktop) If you get my gist. And No, I don't want another Browser (as seen on some of these 'offers") or Security App!
Old 19-04-18, 23:24
Top contributor

From Geeker Magazine:
Quote:
Over 200 million people are using clean master currently. If we talk about reviews, clean master received positive reviews from most of the people beating CCleaner which received negative reviews regarding defragmentation, file recovery and hardware analysis. Though the app got 5/5 stars from CNET editors who called it a highly recommended and a must have tool in spite of minor faults.
Presumably the "negative reviews regarding defragmentation, file recovery and hardware analysis" refer to Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy respectively, not to CCleaner?
Old 20-04-18, 01:01
Top contributor

I'll bet the platforms it examined did not included Windows 10 which now Auto defrags weekly (default) As opposed to older versions Which in turn keeps the Load off CCleaner Not used any other cleaner/defrag app to supplement CCleaner on W10 See KW Defrag on Start Menu
Old 20-04-18, 12:18
Familiar face

Over 2 billion people use Facebook even though it is - very obviously - spyware. So popularity doesn't really count for much. CCleaner is taken as the benchmark so any product that wants to be judged better than CCleaner simply has to declare it removes more files. It impresses many but it's a dangerous path. Doubtful if removing the 'junk' actually speeds up most PCs and almost certainly not by an amount a user will notice.

If your PC has slowed down over the years it's probably due to program updates adding more bells and whistles that are rarely needed.

If you want to clean up / speed up your PC then
1) archive stuff such as videos, photos, songs to DVD or USB
2) remove any programs you no longer use/need including dubious ones such as Clean Master.
Old 20-04-18, 14:18
Established member

Installed and used it once, but was unsure about deleting all the things it said I could delete. Having used CCleaner for several years, it has my confidence that it won't delete stuff that may damage my machine. Hence, uninstalled it. May try it again when we get some positive reviews, until then, I am happy with CCleaner.

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 20-04-18, 14:55
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy5051uk View Post
Installed and used it once, but was unsure about deleting all the things it said I could delete. Having used CCleaner for several years, it has my confidence that it won't delete stuff that may damage my machine. Hence, uninstalled it. May try it again when we get some positive reviews, until then, I am happy with CCleaner.
Likewise for me. I installed it and like you I was unsure about deleting everything to give me about 1.5GB extra space, even having looked at the items in detail by clicking on the appropriate icons. I deleted a few things I knew wouldn`t impact badly on my machine and did save a bit of space - not that I am short of it on my laptop anyway.
Also, I duly uninstalled Clean Master, having used and having confidence in CCleaner for many years.

Perhaps WebUser magazine will run a "How to use Clean Master" in some detail in the future highlighting any possible problem areas which might be encountered??
Old 23-04-18, 20:58
Top contributor

There's an article on the Ghacks site which compares the 2 programs:

CCleaner alternative Clean Master released for Windows PCs - gHacks Tech News

It ends by saying
Quote:
Clean Master is a great looking program that is easy to use and quite good already in terms of locations that it scans for junk files. While it is not on a par with CCleaner combined with CCEnhancer yet, it does a good job on its own considering that it is a first version.

The lack of customization options is limiting Clean Master however. It lacks options to add locations manually for example which is one of the best options that CCleaner offers.
The article is nearly 4 years old, so things may well have changed a bit since then.
Old 23-04-18, 22:02
Global Moderator

I still have System Ninja installed following a thread on here, but CCleaner can still find a couple of MBs to clean when run straight after.

One other cleaner I've tried which cleans out a lot is TFC and while it worked on one machine, it froze another, so out it went.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files...r-by-oldtimer/