Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 06-07-18, 17:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Unable to Update my Win10 Desktop...Error 0x800705b4

I didn't touch the %temp% files, I just closed the dialog box.

I was successful in installing KB4284848 from the link you gave, thanks!

I thought everything will be okay now but when I did check for updates again it is still giving me the same error code. Why oh why?

I ran MBAM Premium scan...no threats detected.

The only programs installed on or after 24June are these plus Overcooked by Ghost Town Games installed 24June.

Here's my installed Win updates so far(the cut portion at the top are all about Microsoft Office)...and here is my update history showing already the recent KB4284848.

Why am I still getting the error code?
Old 06-07-18, 18:56
Global Moderator

I think if McAfee is the problem, you could try a clean boot, but I think it's probably time to try a repair install which won't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

If you haven't created Win 10 install media you can create either a bootable disk or USB after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

When you have done that, with the machine booted up, open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process if using a DVD but will open to its files if using an USB where you will then double click on setup Application.

This takes about 3˝hrs on mine.
Old 06-07-18, 21:38
Enthusiastic contributor

I did the update again but before doing it I unchecked Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows which is Method 2 on this link on how to solve 0x800705b4 Error in Windows Update in Windows 10...and voila the updates were all successful. I restarted the machine and checked again the Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows...then did another check for updates and again it gave me the same error code.

Could it be that I might have uninstalled other Microsoft products (dont remember any now) which has now an update and thus causing Windows Update to give me error code when Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows is checked?
Old 06-07-18, 22:06
Global Moderator

Well you have Office installed so I don't see why it should baulk at that.

Can you uninstall McAfee to see if that makes a difference ?
Old 07-07-18, 06:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi there again Cantrel! I have now uninstalled McAfee Security Scan Plus. I've done another check for updates with a check on Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows and again it is giving me the same error code.

Here are all my installed programs in Programs&Features. Installed1...Installed2...Installed3. I have a hunch that it's the Microsoft Office which is giving me the headache...but how do I detect what's wrong with my Office installation? Any other Microsoft products that could give this problem?
Old 07-07-18, 09:11
Global Moderator

I wonder if it's because you have two versions of Office installed - one for 2013 and the newer one for 2016.

Can you create a system image onto external media and then uninstall the 2013 version to see if that's it causing the problem.

Why do you have Open Office still installed when you have Office 2013 ?
Old 07-07-18, 16:39
Enthusiastic contributor

Actually I prefer Open Office as it is free and would like to get rid of Microsoft Office(if that's possible without causing hiccups on Win Updates). Can I uninstall the 2016 one?

Im not comfortable doing the creation of a system image onto external media...I haven't done one before.

If uninstalling my Microsoft Office 2016 will fix the update issue then Im ok with it because I have Open Office anyway as you said. Or I am even ok to uninstall both the 2016 and the 2013 version. What do you think is best?
Old 07-07-18, 20:17
Global Moderator

Didn't you have to pay for those two Office programs ?

It's up to you whether you uninstall both but I'd hang onto at least one.

I think I've seen before where having two versions of Office has caused problems but can't remember what.

Having one version should be okay as a fall back.

I would advise you to start creating system images as they can pull you out of the mire should you find yourself in it.

I suggest you read Tornado's tutorial on using Macrium Reflect Free to create those - http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=149443
Old 07-07-18, 21:33
Highly valued member

If I was you, I would carry out a repair install of Windows 10 by following section 6 in this link …..

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...e-upgrade.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10

Quote:
6. To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool

Do not use the Media Creation Tool to do a repair install with if you have an older build of Windows 10 installed and wish to retain it since the Media Creation Tool will not include support for older builds. You will be upgraded to the latest build provided by the Media Creation Tool.
I have successfully used this procedure for myself and others who have asked for my help. It only applies if you are able to boot into Windows.

It's your choice whether or not you want to select the option Keep personal files and apps. I usually do this, and suggest you do the same.

On two occasions when Windows 10 wouldn't update, running the MCT then allowed the updates to install.

Good Luck, Spit
Old 07-07-18, 21:44
Global Moderator

But it did update when the MS updates box was unchecked.

It's rechecking it that's causing the problem and could relate to a conflict of having two versions of Office installed, although to be proven.

As a repair install doesn't affect installed programs and if this is the problem, then it would be a waste of time performing a repair install.