Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 05-07-18, 11:33
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Unable to Update my Win10 Desktop...Error 0x800705b4

Hi! I hope someone here can guide me on the step by step procedure to troubleshoot & fix my HP Pavilion 500-319na running Windows 10 Home Edition. My son(Limited Acct) who uses it mainly for games reported to me that the pc is a bit laggy so I decided to update it(using my Admin Acct) but after many attempts I am unsuccessful. It's giving up error code 0x800705b4...and takes a very long time to look for the update only to give the error code. I tried Windows Update Troubleshooter but 1 item it says cannot be fixed(I forgot/didnt take a screenshot). Ive tried sfc/scannow...no issues but still unable to update. I've tried restoring to Last Critical Update(ist wk June)...but it says unsuccessful, no changes done to file etc. I've disabled>>>uninstalled Avast...still unable to update. One time I also got the 0X8024a21e error code when trying to update...but most of the time it's 0x800705b4.

Please help me how to go about fixing this. Thanks!
Old 05-07-18, 15:26
Global Moderator

Default Re: Unable to Update my Win10 Desktop...Error 0x800705b4

It would help if you could let us know what the troubleshooter said it couldn't fix, but open a Command Prompt (Admin) and copy & paste these cmds en bloc to the cmd prompt.

They will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Then enter shutdown /r /t 00 and try the updates again after the reboot.

These cmds reset the update components.

The SoftwareDistribution cmd will remove your update history, but that doesn't affect already installed updates.

Depending upon what the troubleshooter found, you could try two more cmds if those didn't resolve.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

That one may take a while to run.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Redo the shutdown cmd and check again after the reboot.
Old 05-07-18, 17:05
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for the reply Cantrel! I ran again the Windows Update Troublehooter(from this link) and this is what happened. I got this first...then applied the fix to re-download updates...then got this and choose to install pending updates...then finally got this. When I click on detailed information...I got this report...continued1...continued2...continued3.

What do I do now? I haven't carried out yet any of your suggestions about using the Command prompt(admin). Will await your reply to this.

Last edited by cromwell1230; 05-07-18 at 17:34.
Old 05-07-18, 18:00
Enthusiastic contributor

I have had 2 different PC's that just would not update, in both cases I managed to update by downloading the update manually then letting it run.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 05-07-18, 18:24
Top contributor

It looks like the Auto update Feature is Set to OFF
Quote from a Troubleshooting page
Quote:
The update service is not configured as automatic update
And yes it is should be Admin Level access to this switch

Another angle is Windows defender/Firewall is not running well, behind /disabled updates on the AV definitions or something in that Apps settings

Can ultimately stop W10 on its Biannual OS update too

What Might work Give it a Day or 2 in KW "Advanced Update options" (On the Start menu)
Select "Automatically Download updates even over Metered Data connections"
This is normally turned off on my fleet of W10 machines But it might let the MS Server start to update the Machine to the current level. Advise turning it off afterwards and It should be good for a Few months (can sort the Access permission level issue separately)

As for when it will start to update depends also on the Timing Do Check this in KW:"Active Hours" ! and give it say a 2pm to midnight window Or 24 hours ? You might get a notification depending on what Its about to do OK?
Another Way of forcing it is To download /run /update Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant which is An Admin Level Item https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 TIP: Its the TOP linked Item on this page and you are not Getting the Full W10 download only the Preparation App (Latest version)
Old 05-07-18, 21:53
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromwell1230 View Post
Thanks for the reply Cantrel! I ran again the Windows Update Troublehooter(from this link) and this is what happened. I got this first...then applied the fix to re-download updates...then got this and choose to install pending updates...then finally got this. When I click on detailed information...I got this report...continued1...continued2...continued3.

What do I do now? I haven't carried out yet any of your suggestions about using the Command prompt(admin). Will await your reply to this.
Sorry - a bit late in getting back - evening meal and watching some telly.

Carry out those cmds which will reset the update components and try the updates again.

If still a no go then run the dism cmds and if still a no go, run the troubleshooter again and let us know what it reports.

The lag could be caused by it trying to update but go Start - type %temp% and press enter.

If that is highly populated then press CTRL+a to highlight then press CTRL+d to delete - confirm then check the box and click on Skip.

That will probably be just for one or two files.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

A build up of temp files can slow a machine down - so can an infection.

Do you have MBAM installed - free or Premium ?

If not, download the free version at https://www.malwarebytes.com/

It will run as the premium version for 14 days but you can end the trial by clicking on Settings/Account Details where you'll see the button at the bottom.

Let us know if it finds anything - if it does and you still have no joy with the updates prior, try them again after the antimalware scan/quarantine.
Old 06-07-18, 13:37
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi again Cantrel! I've done those cmds you suggested which will reset the update components...however still unable to update and still giving me error(same code). By the way why is it that my pc is saying last update was checked 24/6/2018 when in fact I've done multiple attempts to check for updates yesterday(although they're all unsuccessful in updating my machine).

Next I carried out dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup AND dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth...both operations completed successfully. However still no joy in updating. I then ran the Troubleshooter again and result showed two problems which were both fixed. Another attempt to update still showed same error code. MBAM free scan showed no detections. I'll try to avail of the 14day Premium trial again and scan again...I've just availed of it last month so they might not allow me again.
Old 06-07-18, 13:53
Global Moderator

Whatever has gone wrong went wrong after the 26th June as it hasn't been able to check for updates since.

Have you or your son downloaded anything since then ?

Did you check the %temp% files to see if it was highly populated ?

Try the direct download for KB4284848 from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...px?q=KB4284848 selecting the correct one for your machine.
Old 06-07-18, 14:42
Enthusiastic contributor

THIS is the result of %temp%...shall I delete all of them?
Old 06-07-18, 14:46
Global Moderator

I wouldn't say there were enough there to cause a slow down - one of my sisters had about 3GB once in hers and that really did impact performance.

It's up to you.

Have you tried the direct download for that KB ?