Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 29-05-18, 08:28
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: 1803 stopped my Epson printer!

Regarding uninstalling the software, try this:

https://www.epson.eu/viewcon/corpora...faq/8069/12567

Sorry BTW Scrimper, I've only seen this thread today, but I will keep looking for you.
Old 29-05-18, 09:12
Passionate member

Thanks for your reply, I have tried using Epson setup as a fresh install on a PC that no Epson software had been installed but the scanner still fails.

Epson have admitted that they have a problem, this is what they said in their reply to me last week in response to my enquiry via Facebook messenger

Quote:
Thank you for your message, the new windows update seems to be interfering with the Epson Scan Driver, I can assure you that our IT team is currently working hard to rectify and solve this conflict, unfortunately until then we can only advise you to not update your Windows.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 11-06-18, 09:10
Passionate member

Just for interest of anyone who has problems with Windows version 1803 and Epson scan software..... if you have Epson scan version 5.223 or earlier it does not work, your scanner may open and do one scan then it will crash!
This is what Epson tech support sent me about the issue...
Quote:
We are aware of this issue and our highest technical department in Japan is working on a solution in conjunction with Microsoft
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are three ways that I have found to get it going again.

The first is obvious and that is to roll back to 1709 (if you can) the scanner and Epson scan will work perfectly as it did before the update to 1803.

The second option that will enable you to scan is to install Windows 10's own free scan software, it is basic but will enable you to use the scanner again.

The other option is to use Vuescan, it does work fine as a free version but is useless to use unless you buy it as it leaves watermarks all over the scan! Vuescan does seem to be pretty good (if you pay for it) as it contains over 6000 scanner drivers and will get lot's of scanners to work again (even older ones for which no drivers are available from the makers for W10) So if you do a lot of scanning purchasing Vuescan might be well worthwhile.

Other than that it's a case of being patient and waiting for Epson to release a fixed version of Epson scan.

Old 11-06-18, 09:23
Global Moderator

It's been a while since I've used the Scan function on my Epsom SX425W so will have to give it a try to see if it still works after updating to 1803.

As a fall back I can use my Win 7 laptop if it doesn't work in 1803, but that is only needed if I'm scanning to the computer and not a scan to produce a copy of a doc where I don't need the computer switched on.
Old 11-06-18, 09:39
Enthusiastic contributor

I had the same problem a long while ago - I contacted Epson, who told me that they had no update for my scanner so I contacted VueScan which works perfectly and is updated on a regular basis for the one-off fee.
Old 11-06-18, 09:58
Passionate member

FWIW vuescan costs around 30 for the standard version or around 60 for the professional version.

Differences are that with the standard version you get updates for 12 months whereas with the prof version updates are unlimited, also prof does slides and neg scanning and OCR + some advanced features.

If you have an older decent quality or larger format scanner that you cannot get drivers for anymore Vuescan is well worthwhile to get it going again, on the other hand it might be cheaper to just buy a cheap printer/scanner for basic scanning than buying Vuescan.

Old 19-06-18, 08:48
Passionate member

Well Epson are certainly taking their time to sort out this driver problem which renders may of their scanners or scan parts of all in ones useless! We are not talking about old models here many still on sale won't work with Windows 1803.

They have admitted the problem and affirmed that they are working on a solution but it's well over a month now and no new driver has appeared.

Old 19-06-18, 09:26
Global Moderator

I've finally gotten around to checking out my Epson Stylus SX425W All in One and on clicking on the Event Manager icon in the taskbar, I got an error message that I didn't have a scanner driver installed.

On going to the program list and selecting Epson/Update Driver, it said I already had the latest driver.

Next stop was the Epson support site where I downloaded/installed the driver they had which was for Nov. 2015 - didn't notice the one for Dec. 2015.

After installing that, I found that my scanner scanned to pc just fine.

Perhaps you should reinstall your scanner driver to see if that resolves.

This printer was bought in 2010.

Last edited by Cantrel; 19-06-18 at 09:52.
Old 21-06-18, 08:45
Passionate member

I have installed latest drivers on 2 different pc's and Epson scan works on neither when running ver 1803, reverting to 1709 all works as usual.

As I mentioned I have been in contact with Epson who have confirmed to me that they are aware of the issue and our working on a solution. I just wish they would get a move on!

(The machine in question is not a standard printer it is a large business workforce A3 multi, still being sold. mine was bought in 2015.)

Old 21-06-18, 08:52
Global Moderator

While it probably won't make any difference as far as Win 10 is concerned, have you installed the Feb. 2018 Firmware update ?

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/A...dows+10+64-bit

Mine pre-dated Win 7 when I bought it as during installation I had to go online to download a patch to make it Win 7 compatible, but that is no longer the case when I've reinstalled it since.