Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 01-03-18, 17:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Sony Vaioshell has stopped working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
It is possible that they are conflicting with whatever else you have re-enabled.

Can you leave those three enabled and uncheck each one of the rest at a time to see if any stops the error message.
Hi Tom,
just so I don't misunderstand - Do I need to go into System Configuration\Normal\ok\restart\
hide all microsoft services\disable all\apply\ok\restart? Or just uncheck each of the 32 (minus the mentioned three enabled) non MS services one at a time to see if any stops the error message.
Old 01-03-18, 19:45
Global Moderator

I think it's best done from scratch with all of the non-MS services disabled except for those three - reboot and check to see if you get the error message.

As they were all originally disabled, that may have been why you didn't get the error message.

This way if you still don't get the error message then you will know that it is one or more of those other non-MS services.

If you do find one that brings back the error message, disable that and continue with the others as there could still be a conflict.
Old 02-03-18, 09:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
I think it's best done from scratch with all of the non-MS services disabled except for those three - reboot and check to see if you get the error message.

As they were all originally disabled, that may have been why you didn't get the error message.

This way if you still don't get the error message then you will know that it is one or more of those other non-MS services.

If you do find one that brings back the error message, disable that and continue with the others as there could still be a conflict.
Hi Tom,
I have done normal start up/apply/ok/restart
Hide all ms services and clicked on the three services(one of them that gave the error message) disabled all/apply/ok/restart
SAS core service (Super anti spyware) gave error message. Should I have uninstalled this anti spyware because I can't disable it or don't know how to disable because it is still running. I clicked on disabled all which then stopped all the services - with the note that some secure Microsoft services may not be disabled. I must admit I feel like giving up because I don't know what to do without having to keep asking you what I should do. :
Old 02-03-18, 12:02
Global Moderator

Don't worry about keep asking - that's what we are here for.

While you can whitelist a folder in SAS I would just uninstall it, but first, go into msconfig and click on the normal startup button so that all of SAS will be uninstalled - reboot immediately after uninstalling SAS.

As you have MBAM installed, then for me SAS is surplus to requirements.
Old 02-03-18, 15:55
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Don't worry about keep asking - that's what we are here for.

While you can whitelist a folder in SAS I would just uninstall it, but first, go into msconfig and click on the normal startup button so that all of SAS will be uninstalled - reboot immediately after uninstalling SAS.

As you have MBAM installed, then for me SAS is surplus to requirements.
Hi Tom,
Thanks for telling me that I can keep asking : - I haven't been able to do anything today but will tomorrow :. I have uninstalled SAS and had uninstalled MBAM when I first started having this problem. I have had issues with this laptop, prior to this, with the malwarebytes updates which I did manage to resolve. I am only using the laptop, with issues, to sort this problem out, so I wouldn't have thought it matters if I don't have an anti-virus or snti-spyware running would it? Thanks very much for your help - I think I could have easily just given up. :
Old 02-03-18, 15:59
Global Moderator

Were you using the Premium version of MBAM ?

I would reinstall it if so.

You really should have an antivirus program installed.

Is the machine running better with SAS uninstalled ?
Old 03-03-18, 15:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Were you using the Premium version of MBAM ?
Yes it was the premium 3.3.1

Quote:
I would reinstall it if so.
OK - I thought I had uninstalled it from my Control Panel but it is still in my services at Malwarebytes Services and still in my programs.

Quote:
Is the machine running better with SAS uninstalled ?
Can't really tell because I am only using the machine to go into system configuration and search for vaio care - using my other machine for everything else.

Have done Normal Startup/ disabled ms services/disabled the three non-ms services that showed the error message, did all the non-ms services and there was no error message. I did one at a time the three services where there had been an error message. VU Agent and Vaio Content Folder Watcher showed the Vaioshell not working error message
-so can I take it that these the two folders that have caused the conflict and can they be removed?
Old 03-03-18, 16:01
Global Moderator

I thought you said that SAS was the cause of the conflict ?

Those Vaio items would be default so for there to be a conflict, it would have to have been caused by something else as we can assume that as you have replaced them with known working copies, they shouldn't be causing problems on their own.

I wonder if it's MBAM Premium that is causing the problem - sometimes MBAM hasn't played nice with other programs.

Can you go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to and right click on MBAM and select Properties then use the dropdown to change its status to Disabled - Apply - OK

Click on File/Exit and reboot to effect to see if you still get the VaioShell error message.

You will need those three enabled in msconfig

VaioShell appears to be Sony's diagnostics for your machine from what I've found.
Old 03-03-18, 16:55
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
I thought you said that SAS was the cause of the conflict ?
Yes I was getting the error message Vaioshell has stopped working. I have uninstalled SAS.

Quote:
Those Vaio items would be default so for there to be a conflict, it would have to have been caused by something else as we can assume that as you have replaced them with known working copies, they shouldn't be causing problems on their own.
I have searched VU Agent and I read that it could possibly harm your machine and be a Trojan and Vaio Content Folder Watcher - there seems to be mixed opinions about this and advised about how to remove this.

Quote:
I wonder if it's MBAM Premium that is causing the problem - sometimes MBAM hasn't played nice with other programs.
I previously had issues with MBAM latest premium updates and had to uninstal it on this particular laptop.

Quote:
Can you go Start - type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to and right click on MBAM and select Properties then use the dropdown to change its status to Disabled - Apply - OK
Can't do that on my W8.1, if I do a right click or a left click On MBAM I don't get a dropdown menu so I can't change its status to Disabled - I have to Disable All. Malwarebytes status is Stopped now.
Old 03-03-18, 17:05
Global Moderator

When you right click on it you first have to select Properties to see the dropdown.

I'm talking about doing this in services and not msconfig.

Got to shove off for a while but will be back later.