Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 27-02-18, 18:48
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Sony Vaioshell has stopped working

In Safe Mode with Networking and got the Vaio Control Centre into the Sony file. I then tried Vaio Care, while still in safe mode, and there was no error message that Vaioshell had stopped working. Restarted the laptop and not in Safe Mode , went into Sony file Vaio Control Centre was there, did Vaio Care and got the error message Vaioshell has stopped working. Can't believe it how can VaioCare be working in Safe Mode and when not in Safe Mode it isn't.
Old 27-02-18, 21:31
Global Moderator

Well at least that is something.

First of all, disable your antivirus program to see if that is the cause.

If it is then you will need to whitelist it in the AV program.

If it isn't then right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager (it appears you perform a clean boot in Win 8.1 the same as you do in Win 10).

Under the Startup tab click on each item and select Disable - close that and reboot to see if it works.

If it does then go back into Task Manager/Startup and enable one item at a time - rebooting after each until it stops working.

If it doesn't work with all of those items disabled then press the Windows key+r and type msconfig into the Run box - OK

Click on the Services tab then check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart and check to see if it works.

If it does then check the box for each service at a time - Apply - OK - Restart and check until you come to the offending item.

When done, in msconfig check the button for normal startup then go back into Services and uncheck the box for the offending item.
Old 28-02-18, 14:40
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Well at least that is something.

First of all, disable your antivirus program to see if that is the cause.
I had to uninstal Malwarebytes because I couldn't get it to work

Quote:
If it isn't then right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager (it appears you perform a clean boot in Win 8.1 the same as you do in Win 10).

Under the Startup tab click on each item and select Disable - close that and reboot to see if it works.
That didn't work

Quote:
If it doesn't work with all of those items disabled then press the Windows key+r and type msconfig into the Run box - OK

Click on the Services tab then check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart and check to see if it works.
That worked - no Vaioshell error message

Quote:
If it does then check the box for each service at a time - Apply - OK - Restart and check until you come to the offending item.
I clicked on all the boxes for Microsoft Corporation which disabled all the services, those clicked and not clicked, did apply. That stopped the vaio shell error message. I didn't click on the hide all Microsoft Services button - . So now I've got to do it all again - I am going to have a cup of tea and try and get my brain back in gear. :
Old 28-02-18, 15:39
Global Moderator

If you disable all before you check the box to hide all MS services you can get problems when you reboot.

You will need to start from a normal msconfig by clicking on the Normal startup button and reboot before you go back into msconfig to check which service(s) are causing the problem - but at least we are getting somewhere
Old 28-02-18, 17:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Tom, I reckon I have got about 100 more services to do and I am not going to be able to do anymore now. Will it be ok for me to leave the system configuration as it is and start again tomorrow? I'm at Device Install Service. I feel as if I have done hundreds of these services already. : There are two services Appx Deployment Service Appx - (on this service I got an error message re SoundTouch a wireless music system I have) and Background Tasks Infrastructure that I haven't been able to stop running. I have clicked on them but their default seems to be checked. I do hope you are right that we are getting somewhere :
Old 28-02-18, 21:22
Global Moderator

I only have 18 non-MS services on this Toshiba laptop.

The Appx Deployment Service Appx and Background Tasks Infrastructure are Microsoft services which tells me you haven't checked the box to Hide all Microsoft services as they should no longer be listed.

Of those that are left, you could try re-enabling a few at a time, remembering which you do so that if either one is responsible, you can uncheck those again, reboot and then re-enable one at a time.

With the Hide MS box checked, you'll find the task much easier
Old 01-03-18, 09:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:

I misunderstood what I had to do : I checked the Hide all the Microsoft services button\disable all\apply\ok\restart and then tried vaio care and got no error message. I understood from that that
Quote:
then check the box for each service at a time
that meant each Microsoft Corporation service box. :.

I have clicked the Normal startup button and restarted\clicked on the hide all Microsoft Services\clicked on disable all\apply\ok\restart.

So before I go any further : I'd better check that I am checking each box (that is all the boxes that are not Microsoft Corporation) \apply\ok\restart\check vaio care for error message.

Thanks very much for all your help Tom.
Old 01-03-18, 09:17
Global Moderator

Yes, when you check the box to hide all MS services you will only have non-MS services listed.

Click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart to confirm that you still don't get the error message and then you can re-enable a few or one at a time - Apply - OK - Restart and check to see which of them gives you the error.

If after disabling all non-MS services you still get that error then we'll have to look at something else.
Old 01-03-18, 14:29
Enthusiastic contributor

The last three services that I did, together in a group of three, VU Agent (Sony); Vaio Content Folder Watcher (Sony) and VCS Service (Sony - I got the error message. I did VU Agent again and got the error message - I haven't done the other two again, so I don't know if I would get the error message with them also, I don't know what I should do now.
Old 01-03-18, 14:39
Global Moderator

It is possible that they are conflicting with whatever else you have re-enabled.

Can you leave those three enabled and uncheck each one of the rest at a time to see if any stops the error message.