Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Notices

Old 03-07-18, 20:51
Established member

Default Re: File Explorer - very confused

Have you tried deleting all the folders/files from within the OneDrive folders on your computer?

The Folders are:-

c:\OneDriveTemp
c:\Users\user\OneDrive

This should clear all the folders/files from within OneDrive on your computer.

Then go into Task Manager (right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager).
Go to the StartUp Tab and Disable OneDrive (right-click Microsoft OneDrive and select Disable)

This should now stop OneDrive from starting when you fire up your computer.

Now go to your OneDrive account online and delete all the contents. As there is now nothing in the OneDrive folders on your computer, it has nothing to Sync to.

If you really want to use OneDrive, go through its setup wizard again, and select the folders you want to backup to OneDrive. Then go back into Task Manager and re-Enable OneDrive in the StartUp Tab.

Restart your computer, and OneDrive should then start, and copy the folders you selected above to the OneDrive folders on your computer; it should then sync to OneDrive online.

However, if you have had enough of OneDrive, you can Uninstall it by going to Settings>Apps>Microsoft OneDrive, clicking on it and select Uninstall.

Phew! Let me know how you get on, please.

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 04-07-18, 09:05
Established member

For what it is worth this is what I do. I keep two documents folders: 1. the local Documents linked to my user profile (actual location on a data drive) which shows up in ThisPC, 2. the Documents folder in OneDrive located in my OneDrive local folder (also on my data drive) which shows up under OneDrive. I have both folders linked into the Documents Library and in the Documents library properties both of them set as a save location so that a standard save box lists both locations and I can choose where to save stuff either local only or online (i.e. in the local OneDrive folder).

The reason I do this is that lots of software likes to set up home in my Documents folder and mostly I do not have any need to backup those folders online. My own personal stuff is always saved in the OneDrive documents folder so the contents of the two folders in the documents library are not the same. My data drive is then backed up regularly to an external drive.

In OneDrive App > Settings > Account tab ~ Choose folders I have all the folders in OneDrive set to sync thus giving me local and online copies. Apart from local documents I store everything that I want to backup, music, photos etc in OneDrive. This is why I need the space provided by an Office365 subscription (in addition to the Ofice 2016 applications)

David
Old 06-07-18, 14:01
Familiar face

Thanks - I couldn't work out how to find the folders c:\OneDriveTemp and c:\Users\user\OneDrive, but I think I've found a workaround that I'm happy with.

I think I will manually copy and paste folders that I want to keep an online back up for, into OneDrive. It took a while to do it to them all initially, but now it just takes a few seconds if I've only changed a few files in the folders.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 06-07-18, 14:54
Established member

Glad to be of assistance. Good Luck with Windows 10.

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)