Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 20-06-18, 10:58
Enthusiastic contributor

Default EaseUs Emergency Disc not working

Good Morning All

I have updated EaseUs ToDo Free to version 11 and burnt a new Emergency Disc from the updated program.

This produced without any hitch and when used to boot the PC it opened up the new EaseUs programme as expected showing all the backups on the external HDD which I had also connected to the computer.

Then the trouble started - I had the screen showing all the EaseUs backup details but it was frozen and neither the mouse nor keyboard were effective. I had to initiate a Restart from the computer tower to escape from the screen as nothing else would work.

Selecting backups from the HDD directly works fine so that seems to be OK.

The only thing that has happened differently recently is the 1803 Spring download a couple of weeks ago.

Any ideas why this should be happening?

Regards

Roy
Old 20-06-18, 12:02
Highly valued member

Default Re: EaseUs Emergency Disc not working

Greetings Roy,

I haven't yet updated EaseUS to version 11 so thanks for the warning.

The only time that I had a similar problem with W10 was when I created a boot disk for a backup per the legacy W7 backup program. Using that disk caused my system to crash forcing a hard shutdown.

As a process of elimination, try your older 10.6 version of EaseUS emergency boot disk to see if it still works with version 11 but without the freezing problem.

Meanwhile, I'll have a sniff around later when I get home, to see if there are other similar reported cases since the W10 1803 Spring Upgrade.

Spit
Old 20-06-18, 12:54
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Spit

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I did try the 10.6 disc before I even did the 11.0 one and it didn't work - and still doesn't. It doesn't even open the v.11.0 programme.

The 10.6 disc did work a few days after the 1803 update (major 10.5.18) on the the 10.6 programme because I did test it on 14.5.18. I have since had a Cumulative Update (16.6.18) but didn't do a test then.

Perhaps it is solely the EaseUs update and nothing to do with Win 10?

I did have a freezing problem with a Windows Recovery Stick a short time ago (there is a thread in this section somewhere) but I didn't solve it at the time as I decided to rely on my EaseUs Backups !!!

Best regards

Roy

PS. Thread referred to above is :-http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=153295&highligh

Last edited by daddybear; 20-06-18 at 12:57. Reason: More information
Old 20-06-18, 18:09
Highly valued member

The EaseUS forums no longer seem to be supported so I googled to check if there has been some general reports about version 11 emergency boot disk problems but couldn't find any.

My first suggestion would be to revert to version 10.6 to ensure that your existing image backups still remain viable in the situation where you have to boot from an emergency disk.

Most download sites are now pushing version 11 and you have to be very careful that you download from a reputable one. I usually download from MajorGeeks or File Hippo.

MajorGeeks is offering version 11, but File Hippo also offers older versions of EaseUS ..

https://filehippo.com/download_easeu..._backup/77882/

.. although they are now Commercial Trial versions and presumably should then ultimately revert to free versions.

However, I noticed this in my googling ..

https://www.easeus.com/support/todo-...ency-disk.html

You might want to try burning a fresh version 11 emergency boot disk with Compatibility Mode unticked. Perhaps a long-shot but maybe worth a try.

Quote:
Uncheck the Compatibility mode will get necessary drivers from current computer and add to WinPE emergency disk. If the created emergency disk can't boot normally, you can only check Compatibility mode to recreate.
I never have problems creating emergency boot disks, but occasionally do have problems creating a working emergency boot USB drive.

Good Luck, Spit
Old 21-06-18, 12:49
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Spit

Well done!! - you've solved it.

Thanks for all your research and suggestions. Some I had tried, others not, and the one that worked was a new Disc with Compatibility Mode unticked. It went smoothly to produce and then booted the PC into EaseUs perfectly with all functions for Recovery accessible and the mouse active.

Strangely, the Disc for my Win 7 Pro Laptop works with the Compatibility Mode ticked!! Haven't tried it in the Win 10 PC and don't plan to do so - quit whilst you are ahead.

I had tried to go back to 10.6 via File Hippo but that download now contains some "extras" (something to do with a Chrome-based web browser) which was also shown up by Unchecky and so I backed away from that one. I didn't want to start chasing after some PUP on top of my other problems.

Anyway, all is now good and I have got the relevant discs labelled with all the necessary details for the future.

Thanks again for your kind interest and help.

Can go and play some golf now instead of mucking about on the computer with this.

Best regards

Roy
Old 22-06-18, 10:08
Highly valued member

Hi Roy,

I'm glad things are back to normal again for you.

As you know, an emergency boot disk is vital to cover the scenario where you cannot boot into Windows.

Happy golfing mate . I'm playing in a medal competition this weekend and the weather is set fair ... our son is also playing.
I have appointed him as our designated driver so that I can have a few refreshments at the nineteenth hole.

Regards, Spit