Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 21-02-18, 15:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Sony Vaioshell has stopped working

For the last week I have been trying to use Vaiocare for my laptop's performance, security system settings and messages. I keep getting the same error message:

Vaioshell has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I haven't been able to find out what the prob is and I did search the error but it seems the only solution is a system restore - can I try anything else pls.
Old 21-02-18, 15:30
Global Moderator

Default Re: Sony Vaioshell has stopped working

Page 2 in this article has a solution which worked for someone - https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-S...ing/td-p/72995
Old 21-02-18, 15:51
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Page 2 in this article has a solution which worked for someone - https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-S...ing/td-p/72995
Tom, Thanks but I had looked at that and as it was dated 2013 I did wonder if it would still be up-to-date or wouldn't that matter?.
Old 21-02-18, 16:05
Global Moderator

Yes, I saw it was an oldish article but the later posts were from 2015.

On Page 2 clicking on the model homepage hyperlink gives you a download page which when changing to Win 8.1 and then the file dropdown will give you the Vaio Care download for 22nd Sept 2016 which I assume to be the latest version.

You can go that route but this is where it takes you - https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model...d#/downloadTab
Old 22-02-18, 15:15
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Tom, tried to do a system restore and it could not access a file because there was probably an anti-virus running. I think I will disable malwarebytes as I had previously had probs with update. BTW do you think there could be some sort of a conflict with the vaio software and the anti-virus?
Old 22-02-18, 15:54
Global Moderator

Both MBAM and AV programs have been proven to be glitchy at times.

Boot up into the recovery environment and try the restore point option from there.

I've had restore point failure both in normal and safe mode in Win 10 and that is the way I restore if/when I need to.

When you try the restore point option, check the box to scan for affected programs before proceeding with it and then you'll see what has been installed since.

If it's either MBAM or your AV program conflicting, then the same could happen again when their Definitions are updated.

While that article was originally from 2013 the majority of the complaints at the time followed a particular Vaioshell update.

Had you downloaded anything immediately prior to Vaioshell not working, as conflicts can be caused by other programs.

Post hung - didn't time it.