Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Email and Messaging

Old 15-05-18, 22:13
Top contributor

Default Google to Gmail users: Here's how you turn on new offline working, Smart Compose

This article comes from ZDNet:

Google to Gmail users: Here's how you turn on new offline working, Smart Compose | ZDNet
Quote:
Google rolls out offline support in Gmail and its new Smart Compose feature that completes your sentences.

As Google flagged in its big Gmail redesign announcement last month, the company has now rolled out offline support for Gmail on the web and its new Smart Compose email assistant.

As the name suggests, Gmail offline allows you to read, respond to, and search Gmail messages even when you're offline.

The catch is that you need to be using Chrome 61 or newer, and also have enabled the new Gmail. If you're using classic Gmail you still need to install the Chrome Gmail offline extension.
Old 16-05-18, 11:55
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Google to Gmail users: Here's how you turn on new offline working, Smart Compose

You can always use an email client such as Thunderbird to do all that, without having to use Chrome.
Having to go online just to check an email is a pain in the fundament, so, however you do it, offline capability is very useful. IMHO

Nik
Old 16-05-18, 18:07
Top contributor

Default Re: Google to Gmail users: Here's how you turn on new offline working, Smart Compose

Using Thunderbird offline is fine, but a lot of people prefer just to use webmail. I wouldn't want to have to use Chrome, so I find that aspect of it rather off-putting.
Old 19-05-18, 00:54
Top contributor

The Register has an article about Smart Compose too:

How Google's Smart Compose for Gmail works and did it fake its robo-caller demo? The Register
Quote:
Plus: Classifying frogs can be hopping mad

Roundup Hello, here's our weekly AI roundup. We have more information on how Google's sentence prediction in Smart Compose for Gmail works, as well as some questions about its Duplex robo-caller system. Also, decision trees to classify the mating calls of frogs and toads to study climate change.