Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 21-07-18, 09:46
Global Moderator

Default Re: Very Very Slow edge

Before you do that, go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services then click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart and check to see how the browsers perform.

Depending upon which antivirus program is being used, when you hit the Apply button, that can reinstate itself - this is the reason why I was wanting you to check what the browsers were like in Safe Mode as all 3rd party programs are isolated then.

If it does reinstate itself, then see if you can disable it in its settings.

Sometimes an AV program can get over zealous and hang onto files after they have checked them which will cause a lag.

To reinstate the services, go back into msconfig and check the Normal startup button and reboot.

You'll probably still have to perform the repair install in an attempt to restore access to the advanced boot options.
Old 21-07-18, 09:49
Enthusiastic contributor

Okay will let you know.
Big Thank You.
Old 21-07-18, 11:01
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Cantrel Tried your idea with no luck.
I will have a go at reinstall repair and will follow step by step using the MacBook
Once again Many Thanks very much appreciated .
Old 21-07-18, 15:34
Global Moderator

Okay.

Since one of the updates following 1803, System Restore fails on my other Win 10 laptop when using that option from the advanced boot settings, although it will work in Safe or normal mode.

This is particularly bad because should I need to boot up with an install disk to recover the machine, it won't work and I may be faced with a clean install, although I can recover with a Macrium system image.

A repair install didn't fix that as you get all of the updates back again, although hopefully it will restore the advanced boot settings.

If this slow was caused by an update then the repair install probably won't fix this either, but it has to be tried as everything thing else has except a memory diagnostic.
Old 21-07-18, 19:57
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi. What will I need to do a clean install. I have no discs for this hip laptop She did say there was nothing with it.
Would I need some software from Microsoft windows 10, or is it available to download.
Thanks.
Old 21-07-18, 21:17
Global Moderator

Go back to my Reply #15 where it gives the steps to create Win 10 install media and how to perform a repair install - you are not doing a clean install which would wipe everything off C:

A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.
Old 21-07-18, 21:32
Established member

I have found that CCleaner does not identify old versions of Windows 10 on your PC.

To find out if you have any old versions which are tying up space on what is a small hard drive (SSD), you should run Disk Clean Up in Administrator mode.

Click on All Programs, Administration Tools on Windows 10, then find Disk Clean Up; right click on the program name and click on "Run as Administrator", then let the program do its work - could take a few minutes.

When the program shows a list of what can be deleted, make sure there is a tick in all the square boxes to the left of the box. One item may well be "Previous Windows Versions" and may show several Gigabytes that can be deleted.

Click OK then Click Delete Files to free up space. Try running Edge again and see if it made any difference.

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 21-07-18, 21:43
Global Moderator

The suggestion to run CCleaner was to clear the temp folder cache as a build up of those can reduce a computer to a crawl.

If this machine was upgraded to Win 10 then sufficient time has elapsed for the Windows.old folder to have been auto deleted by Windows and Win 10 also auto removes old updates.

However, and thanks for the reminder - Disk Cleanup will need to be run after the repair install as a Windows.old folder will be created, but in Win 10 it's best to run Disk Cleanup in two stages.

First, normally and not as an admin and when that scan has completed, you click on Clean system files which will give you the option to select Windows.old which is about 20GB.

One advantage of using a SSD is that it won't need a defrag afterwards as would a HDD.

An easier way to run Disk Cleanup is simply to go Start and type it then press enter when it comes up.
Old 22-07-18, 10:01
Enthusiastic contributor

Good morning.
Update on this HP laptop. Decision was made to Reset it she saved all her documents etc to an external drive.
Then we went for it took a while for it to achieve the reset few screen flashes.
all went better that we thought kept watching the screen as I never done something like this before.
Just complete at about 10.00hrs and looks good lots of HP stuff on it that she never seen before,Have to sort out what to delete and keep, In the process of transferring some of her documents etc.
11.00hrs and all looking great, Maybe this needed doing a while back.
Well Many thanks for all you advice and time to help us out.Very Much Appreciated.From saw and granddaughter Thank You very much.
Old 22-07-18, 10:23
Global Moderator

Glad that has sorted it for you, although perhaps extreme

I wouldn't have thought it would take that long though.

I've never done a Reset on my Win 10 - perhaps that would sort out my restore problem, but don't really have the time and I still have Macrium system images to fall back on.