Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 25-04-18, 08:11
Established member

Default screen dim

I knew I'd be back! This morning when I powered up my laptop ( Dell Inspiron 6400) the screen came up very dim, the 'connected to internet' logo was missing from bottom of screen. I pressed the Fn button & the 'up' button but no difference. I went to control panel and clicked on 'power options' but no response from there HELP wanted please! Alex
Old 25-04-18, 08:27
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: screen dim

First response from me would be screen backlight has packed up. Difficult to say though without a picture or a better explanation of how dim the screen is. If you shine a torch on the screen do the screen pictures show up a bit better? Also My first action would be a reboot. have You tried that?

Power supply can also cause this if it is unplugged or if it isn't supplying the power for whatever reason. When your laptop is on battery power the screen will go dim to conserve the battery. That is a setting in power options and disabling that setting should brimng your screen up to full brightness. That will tell you whether the power supply is working or not.
Old 25-04-18, 08:30
Global Moderator

Can you boot up into the advanced boot options and select Last Known Good Configuration to see if that helps.

A dim screen could denote the backlight failing but for icons missing, then that's something else which a simple reboot could resolve.

A cold boot is also another option.

For that you remove both the AC and battery then hold the power button in for ~30 secs then put it back together and switch on.
Old 25-04-18, 09:56
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Can you boot up into the advanced boot options and select Last Known Good Configuration to see if that helps.

A dim screen could denote the backlight failing but for icons missing, then that's something else which a simple reboot could resolve.

A cold boot is also another option.

For that you remove both the AC and battery then hold the power button in for ~30 secs then put it back together and switch on.
Done all that to no avail , also noted that the audio to my headphones is no longer working(the laptop speakers have,nt worked for years) that is why i use my headphones. Funny that I'm on internet ok but no logo. To see the screen i have to use a semi-darkened room, then it's no problem alex
Old 25-04-18, 10:02
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post
First response from me would be screen backlight has packed up. Difficult to say though without a picture or a better explanation of how dim the screen is. If you shine a torch on the screen do the screen pictures show up a bit better? Also My first action would be a reboot. have You tried that?

Power supply can also cause this if it is unplugged or if it isn't supplying the power for whatever reason. When your laptop is on battery power the screen will go dim to conserve the battery. That is a setting in power options and disabling that setting should brimng your screen up to full brightness. That will tell you whether the power supply is working or not.
I have to use semi darkened room to view the screen which is quite legible then, torch would make it worse i think. . when i go to power options in control panel i get no response from the icon, also have lost audio to headphones. alex
Old 25-04-18, 11:23
Global Moderator

I'd have a look in Event Viewer to see if anything has been recorded and in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices for any yellow alerts.

It could be worth going to the support site for your computer model and downloading chipset/video drivers or checking to see if there's a BIOS update.

I think it would also be worth reinstalling the audio drivers, but it could take a factory reset to put matters right and all that involves.
Old 25-04-18, 12:22
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2527 View Post
I have to use semi darkened room to view the screen which is quite legible then, torch would make it worse i think. . when i go to power options in control panel i get no response from the icon, also have lost audio to headphones. alex
You don't actually use the torch to light up the darkened room. Shine th etorch at the screen. The light from the torch will reflect back of the white back light and your screen should become more readable. If the screen becomes more legible then it's a safe bet that your backlight has gone and is not illuminating the main screen.
Old 25-04-18, 15:46
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
I'd have a look in Event Viewer to see if anything has been recorded and in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices for any yellow alerts.

It could be worth going to the support site for your computer model and downloading chipset/video drivers or checking to see if there's a BIOS update.

I think it would also be worth reinstalling the audio drivers, but it could take a factory reset to put matters right and all that involves.
Why do I get the feeling I'm running on a Low Power Option?
I can't open the Power Option Button in the Control Panel WHY?
Old 25-04-18, 15:50
Global Moderator

I don't know if that mode would have taken out your icon but go Start - type powercfg.cpl and press enter when it comes up to see if that will get you in.

There's also a Power Options button in All Control Panel Items.
Old 25-04-18, 17:21
Established member

That didn't work either (though it did on my desktop pc)
Also the icon is there but it wont open! Looked at one or two other places on the control panel where it said 'adjust power settings' but they didn't open either, alex